what do i need...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aekdbbop

Reaction score
I want to transfer beer from one keg to another.. it is carbonated.. do i just need some sort of jumper cable? Can someone point me to one? Thanks

I'm thinking you should go beer tap to beer tap seeing as though its carbonated. If you do the normal beer out to gas in (like w/ sanitizer), you would end up with a bubbly mess.

-Pressurize the the empty keg w/ lets say 10psi.
-Put gas on the full keg, but make sure its over 10psi.
-Make a short beer line with two beer taps on it.
-Put the beer tap on the full keg, then connect it to the empty keg.
-Beer will start flowing until the pressure in both kegs are equal.
-When it slows down, simply release some of the gas from the empty keg using a spare tap/screwdriver.
-Repeat until you start drawing foam/air off the (now empty) full keg.

The key here is to keep the entire system pressurized, with just a small low pressure differential in the keg you are looking to fill. If you push beer into a new keg thats got the lid removed, you'll end up with half a keg full of beer and the rest will be foam.

BTW, why move carbonated beer from one keg to another? Combining beer from two kegs or something?

hmm.. that seems like a lot of work for something that sounds simple to do..

i have seen filtration systems that just use a jumper cable from one keg to another.. but you are saying that this would cause it to foam out? Scary stuff..

when you say beer tap, do you mean a keg connect?

yeah, this is just a 6" jumper line from one keg to the other. The instructions look complicated, only because I wanted to be precise about what you needed to do. In short, you are just putting Co2 in two kegs, raising the pressure on the full one, connecting the jumper, and venting air off the keg getting filled until its full.

If you take beer thats been sitting at 12psi for a month and push it quickly into a keg thats got 0 psi, you will get A LOT of foam. You HAVE to push it into a pressurized keg. This is basically a big version of a counter-pressure beer bottle filler.

I just want to clarify one thing. You want to equalize the empty tank with the same pressure that's in the full keg, but you only need to do it once. That is, make sure you take the gas OFF the empty keg so that it doesn't keep trying to equalize as you vent it. Get your empty up to the same pressure as your carbed full keg. Get two beer out disconnects and jump them with some short hose and put them on the two kegs. At this point, no beer flows because they're both on the same pressure. Now, pull the vent on the empty keg, nice and easy, only a second or so at a time. You want to drop the pressure just enough to get beer flowing but you don't want a huge drop or foam city.

Latest posts

Back