What do I need to upgrade to all grain?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrookVon

Reaction score
I am trying to move into the next stage of homebrewing, and am getting a lot of mixed messages on what I should get. I've been looking online for a kit and the deluxe 10 gallon setup from Northern Brewer looks nice. I also have a buddy who works at Home Depot, and I can get a pretty good discount over there. Are there any good guides to an all grain DIY setup, or any kits online that I can buy that are complete kits? I only have a 5 gallon lot which is also a concern. Also a good all grain book selection would be awesome!! Thanks for any information you can give!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

When I made the jump, I went to home depot and bought a 10 gallon cooler(don't bother with a 5, you will quickly outgrow it). There are a zillion guides on making your own MLT, and it's very simple. All together it cost me about $70 to make my own MLT, as opposed to buying one for $150+. I would also check craigslist for a keggle/propane burner. You can get them fairly cheap!

Overall, unless you have unlimited funds, I would not buy an all grain kit. It's just not worth the money. There are tons and tons of DIY guides on here, and all across the web.

Sounds good! I just wanted to know all of the different things I needed. I'm not completely familiar with all the lingo and equipment. My brother bought me a very nice bayou burner, so I'm all set there.

Someone recommended to me to try BIAB first. Its super easy and a great way to get started fast. I did my second BIAB 2 weeks ago.

If you already have a 10g kettle, all you really need is a paint strainer bag from Home depot/lowes.

Also brewing software (I use beersmith) is a really good way to plan your brew. It helps you think through the whole process.

A 5 gallon kettle will easily mash 12 pounds of grain, and if you are adventurous, buy two 5 gallon buckets and make a Zapap lauter/sparge tun. Easy and cheap.

I bought the big orange Home Depot cooler, a false bottom, 1/2 nipple, 1/2 connected, washers, ball valve to make mash tun. I had a five gallon cooler that I put a ball valve on for liquor tank. I fly sparge. A minimum 10 gallon boil kettle is recommended. An calibrated thermometer is a must. You can get the pieces a lot cheaper than the kits they sell. It's not that hard. Look at what they sell in kit and then look at bargainfittings.com. I've dealt with them before and been happy. Your mileage may vary.

You'll like all grain. Not as hard or mysterious as you might imagine.

I have a 5 gallon round igloo (it was free), and getting a 10 gallon is the best advice given thus far. I got a bazooka filter, and it does it's job very well.

The single greatest thing I've done, though, is kegging.

So it sounds like I need a 10 gallon igloo with the DIY works and a 10 gallon SS kettle. Anything else major that I need?

Maybe a ball valve for my 5 gallon and a nice thermometer?

You can easily do 5 gallon all grain with 1 propane burner, 1 10 gallon pot, and a 10 gallon round cooler/MLT. That's how I started out. It involves a lot of lifting, but with a friend it's pretty easy.

I have since built a 3 tier system and moved up to 10 gallons.

Also, if you're looking for a good book, I HIGHLY recommend "how to brew" by John Palmer. It is a wealth of info. I thumb through it daily reading various things.

You should check your local library for brewing books. Even the books that my library doesn't have .. I can borrow through a network of lending libraries from all over South Carolina. The first edition of the John Palmer book "How To Brew" in available online to anyone free. Just "google" or "bing" it .. and there it is. Also, "Dave Miller's Homebrewing Guide" is still very relevant today and can be purchased from second hand book sellers for several dollars. Those are the two books I would start with .. for an introduction to all grain brewing. If you can borrow the books from the library .. it will give you a chance to give them a "test drive" .. to find the ones you may want to buy.. so you don't end up with .. a bunch you don't really want .. or the ones that don't offer much info. I was able to check out from the library "Designing Great Beer" .. and "Radical Brewing". Those two books are more advanced than what you need right now .. but allow you to make a future shopping list .. for the next round of purchases.

I only have a 5 gallon kettle

All you need is a paint strainer bag and you can do 2 1/2 gallon batches with that kettle. A bigger kettle will let you do bigger batches. BIAB is a great way to start without spending a pile of money. Once you can do all grain, any other equipment is a want, not a need.

I am trying to move into the next stage of homebrewing

Do you make yeast starters and do you have good fermentation temp control? I think those would be more beneficial next steps than all grain in improving the quality of your finished product.

Do you make yeast starters and do you have good fermentation temp control? I think those would be more beneficial next steps than all grain in improving the quality of your finished product.

Those are things that I am currently looking to focus on for my next batch. I've found some great starter techniques, but not so much on temp control besides setting the fermenter into water. Also are the spin plates really worth it?

I think if I was starting from scratch ... and was looking for maybe ball valves and a 10 gallon SS kettle .. I would at least step up a notch and purchase 3 pieces SS ball valves. I know they say you can also take apart the the 2 piece valves .. I have never been able to get mine to come apart. I always feel like I am going to strip it out .. or break it when I have it clamped in a vice and I'm trying to force it apart. You could buy them one at a time .. when ever you need one. I bought 4 or 5 several years ago online for about $18.00 each .. google "3 piece SS ball valves .. and compare prices). I use the 3 piece ball valves on my brew kettle, mash tun .. and SS conical. The 3 piece valves have four bolts that hold it together .. and can be taken completely apart .. cleaned and sanitized. I might even think about trying to get away from any kind of threaded fittings on my main pieces of equipment .. and go with tri-clover fittings. Some of my equipment is from the 1980's .. 90's .. 2000's, etc. Everything is functional .. but it's kind of like golf. The game hasn't changed .. but the equipment now .. is better. You may also want to shield your ball valves .. from high heat. There are plastic components inside there. If you melt them .. you can't buy replacement parts .. you have to buy new ball valves.

Those are things that I am currently looking to focus on for my next batch. I've found some great starter techniques, but not so much on temp control besides setting the fermenter into water. Also are the spin plates really worth it?

You can get a stir plate for <$50 or make your own for around $20. I think it's definitely worth it. A small chest freezer and temp controller should be doable for $200 and worth every penny.

If I was starting over, I'd do both f those before spending money on all grain.

I think I'm going to make my own, but for temp control my problem is more of a space problem because I currently live in a small place and I can really only fit my carboys in a small closet as it is.

I have a pretty cool HBS owner who hooked me up on the cheap. 2x 10gal igloo type coolers. 1 has a braided strainer connected to the valve the other has just a valve. The 2 coolers I think were all I added to my setup to start doing all grain.

Back