what do I do with this?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OHIOSTEVE

Reaction score
I am a rank amatuer to wine making, I have a second and third batch going now. My friends just moved into a house and found in the garage a sealed can of ENGLISHMANS NUT BROWN ALE BEER MIX BY MISTER BEER. It has the yeast packet and is completely sealed. Do I throw it away as I have no idea how old it is....do I get a ferminting bucket and give it a try? how do I even know what it needs added?

friend just stopped in...said they found a little brown thing called a MISTER BEER in a closet...threw it in the trash before they found the can of "stuff" .

That would be the most informative.

If the can's not swelling or all rusty, I'd probably give it a try. Buy a new packet of ale yeast and you do need to add more fermentables to get the normal 2 gallon batch. I usually use 1 lb of light dry malt extract.

this can says it makes 5 gallons???.........Just prepare the wort per the instructions ( gallon of boiling water and sugar) put in a fermenter with airlock and enough water to make 5 gallons....ferment until bubbles stop and then put in bottles with a small amount of sugar and cap?

this can says it makes 5 gallons???.........Just prepare the wort per the instructions ( gallon of boiling water and sugar) put in a fermenter with airlock and enough water to make 5 gallons....ferment until bubbles stop and then put in bottles with a small amount of sugar and cap?

I've never heard of a Mr. Beer kit that makes five gallons.

I've never heard of a Mr. Beer kit that makes five gallons.

on the back it has brewing suggestions. Different water and sugar amounts to use for different "types" of beer and more or less alcohol content. according to this can it can make 4-6 gallons of beer but "normal" is 5. It says to use with a mister beer micro brewery . Says to pour into the mister beer micro brewery and add water to the ( depending on the recipe you use off of here) 4-6 gallon mark.

So, I'm curious, is this a Mr. Beer product or a Mister Beer product? Do you see the difference I'm getting at.

It sounds like it's a can of extract and I know Mr. Beer makes a nut brown ale can. Usually you combine that can, the can should be about the size of a can of baked beans, with some other fermentable materials, either their booster product, more liquid extract or dry extract, to make about two gallons of beer. It will produce a drinkable beer with little effort, but probably nothing spectacular.

There is also a product called Mister Beer I found online. However, this looks similar to something I saw at a homebrew shop in southern Washington while visiting my brother, yeastlvr on this site, a few months back. It's a two liter soda bottle filled with unfermented wort and it had a little yeast pill that you dropped in and let it ferment and carb in the bottle and then, when it was finished, that's when you take it home and enjoy it! It sounded awful, but in retrospect, I'm wishing I had picked up a couple of them to try out.

It sounds like this is a Mr. Beer can, because the little brown keg fermenter that got tossed sounds exactly like the Mr. Beer fermenter.

There was a 6 gallon Mr.Beer made over 10 years ago. If that's the original extract that came with it - toss it or make liquid fertilizer for the garden or something like that. Definitely would not consume it. New Mr. Beer extract cans say makes 2 gallons and have expiration dates.

-OCD

There was a 6 gallon Mr.Beer made over 10 years ago. If that's the original extract that came with it - toss it or make liquid fertilizer for the garden or something like that. Definitely would not consume it. New Mr. Beer extract cans say makes 2 gallons and have expiration dates.

-OCD

Well, there's our answer. Thanks!

beermix.jpg

here is a pic...it HAS to be old now that I think about it...look at the price sticker........ EDITED TO ADD, WHY DID MY PICTURE SHOW AS A LINK AND NOT A PICTURE?

Back