What do I do about this?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drunkrightnow

Reaction score
This is day 3 of my first batch.
coins012.jpg

Pop it out, clean it off, sanitize, pop it back in and refill with sanitizer.

Yep.

But a little hint, first. Sometimes that airlock is clogged at the bottom, inside the bucket. If you just walk over and pull it out, you may get a face full of beer. Carefully pull it off, and then clean it sanitize it and put it back on. If it happens again, then sanitize a piece of tubing (like you have for your siphoning) and stuff that in the airlock hole and put the other end in a jug filled with water. That is called a "blow off tube" and you may need one if the krausen keeps sneaking up on you like that.

You could also take it out, sanitize a piece of tubing, and insert on end of the tubing into the rubber bung in your buckey, and the other into a jar or water. This will allow the gas the escape, without letting contaminants in. It is called a blowoff tube

Thanks. I just took it off and cleaned it and stuck it back in. The airlock is bubbling like crazy! I may try to ride this one out and get a blowoff tube for the next one. I figured this 7g bucket would be big enough, but I may have over filled it when I added water to the 2.5 gallon wort.

If I wanted to make a blow off tube, do I need to worry about the tubing being food grade? Or can I just go to Lowe's and pick up whatever clear, vinyl tubing they have?

IMO, food grade is always best. I have heard people say they have used whatever tubing is available, but I say why risk it.

dont sweat all the fixes.....just get a bigger bucket....i use the 7.9 gal bucket its for making 6 gal kit wines 5gal of beer has plenty of room for active fermentation

A couple things.

* Congratz..on the beer.
* check your airlock. Some of them have a little cross bar on there which can make them get clogged. Just dremmle it of break of with plyers
* 5/16" inside diameter tubing will slip over the base piece of your airlock works great for blowoffs.
* fermcap-s, baby gas-x, or generic will help with boil overs and blowoffs.

I just attach a blow off tube to every batch now for primary fermentation.

I love the sound it makes...I have to hide the container of water so the kids don't dump it....every time I brew a batch my wife thinks the kids have gas.

Back