What did I do?!?!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oakwood

Reaction score
Okay, I was going to make a Belgian Triple to have ready right around spring or later Winter (6-8 weeks). I got the water going and ready to steep and relized I didn't have everything I needed. I thought I had it all, ran back and checked. Missing the Crystalized Sugar. Can you belive it. One thing, on little thing and now I am screwed. Or am I?

I ran back the pantry swapped out the hops for Brewers Gold (2oz.) and Fuggle (1oz.) Steeped the Pils grains at 165-175 for 20 minutes. Rolling boil for 20 minutes, removed from flam and added in 6lbs Pils LME. Back to a boil and added in 1 oz. of BG, at 30 minutes in a popped in another 1oz BG. With it at about 58 minutes into the boil I added the Fuggle. Cooled to 70 and pitched my Trapist Yeast. 36hrs in and it started perkulating. Now 8 Days later it is still going strong. What did I end up making, what do you think it will come out like? When will it stop fermenting?!?

I made the NB Nut Brown same day and it was about 5 hrs in when it started and about 5 days and it was done and ready to rack. It seems to be right in line with the kit and I am sure it will be kegged and ready for New Years.

Thought they would run in time with each other but it seems that the unknown one might take a bit longer. Talked to a few local guys and not one knows what it will come out like. I am not one for really just doing it off the hip like that. The Summer Ale was alot of thought, and the Downtown Alt is just a dry hopped German Alt. Now the Winter Warmer is just that, a Stout with a Whisky Twist (Jameson), dam the winter warmer is yummy!.

So what do you think, did I just waste my time and ingredants or will it resemble anything close to beer?

Oak,

It is definately beer, as to what it is, the best reccomendation I have is to plug the recipe into some beer software and see which sytle it comes closest to matching. And call it beer.

Don't have any software to tell me that. Anyone on here able to do that for me? Of any links to online freeware that could help?

Oak

Doesn't look like it cares what Yeast you use. I changed it around but what is listed is the one I used. The yeast never changed the name, or the ABV. Uhm. Did I load it in wrong?

Category Light Lager
Subcategory Lite American Lager
Recipe Type Extract
Batch Size 5 gal.
Volume Boiled 6 gal.
Mash Efficiency 69.2 %
Total Grain/Extract 7.00 lbs.
Total Hops 3.0 oz.
Calories (12 fl. oz.) 180.0
Cost to Brew $30.00 (USD)
Cost per Bottle (12 fl. oz.) $0.56 (USD)

1 lbs. Belgian Cara-Pils info
6 lbs. Liquid Light Extract info
1 oz. Brewers Gold (Pellets, 9.00 %AA) boiled 60 min. info
1 oz. Brewers Gold (Pellets, 9.00 %AA) boiled 30 min. info
1 oz. Fuggle (Pellets, 4.75 %AA) boiled 1 min. info
Yeast : WYeast 3787 Trappist High Gravity

Apparent / Real
Original Extract 11.48 °Plato / 11.48 °Plato

Attenuation 44.4 % / 36.1 %

Extract 6.38 °Plato / 7.34 °Plato

Alcohol = 2.7 %

I'd hope you'd end up with a batch higher than 2.7%! With 6# LME, you should get at least 4.5 or so %. It isn't a strong batch by any means, but I have used 3787 and it is a slower fermenting yeast. What temp are you fermenting it at? Belgian strains are more temperature sensitive than other strains. I've used 3787 for batches up to 12% and it worked quite well, so it should ferment yours no problem. Give it a couple of weeks yet and go from there.

Agreed. That yeast is robust as hell, and will ferment to ~12% ABV. I've still a couple bottles of four-year-old Quadruppel brewed with it. Depending on temperature it could take a bit to ferment out.

Congratulations! You've made a Belgian-style beer. The yeast alone will make for what my lovely wife calls "that Belgian stank" so particular to Belgian beers.

The best thing about playing with Belgian styles is that you can do damn near anything you like, use weird ingredients, etc. and still have it be a Belgian-style ale. I'd call it a "Belgian-style Golden Ale", give it a ripping cool name - perhaps understandably, my favorite is Gouden Robertus - and be happy.

Oooo. Here's an idea. Put a couple of whole star anise and a fistful of grains of paradise into the secondary...

RDWHAHB! :D

How many oz of this and that? How much is a handfull. I would hate to get to this point and then just pitch in an unknown amount and be unable to repeat it if it turns out great.

Temp is 64-66

Where is the best place to get the whole star anise and a fistful of grains of paradise

Personally I think I would have just brewed it the way you originally planned, and then picked up the sugar later on, boiled it in some water, cooled, and added to the fermenter. Wouldn't have caused any problems as long as you were sanitary about it.

You could have also just used table sugar or raw sugar instead of the crystallized stuff. they are nearly the same and will give almost identical results once the yeast has had its fun.

Oakwood said:
How many oz of this and that? How much is a handfull. I would hate to get to this point and then just pitch in an unknown amount and be unable to repeat it if it turns out great.
For my hands, a handful is about one ounce dry weight. So if you want to funk it up with spices, add one star anise (or two, depending on just how much you like that flavor and aroma) and 1 oz. paradise seed. You'll want to crack the paradise seed, but that's easily done in a coffee grinder.

Where is the best place to get the whole star anise and a fistful of grains of paradise
Visit http://www.thespicehouse.com and search for "star anise" and "grains of paradise".

Please let me know if you try this and you like it! It's basically adding a couple of the melange of spices I use in Witbier.

Cheers!

Bob

Back