What did I cook this weekend.....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Seared halibut with chili gremolata, arugula/walnut pesto, crispy coconut rice, and broccoli.

IMG_20200706_195201_576.jpg

I love porterhouse but wher I live I can't find them. I always eat the NY Strip side, the wife eats the tenderloin.
A local market had these on sale for 5.99 lb. This one got a little overdone so the strip was a little chewy, but the tenderloin was like butah. The store tries to slip in steaks that should be called T-bones, but at that price it still isn’t bad. Seems odd that they wouldn’t have them by you, unless you‘re very remote, I guess. Something to look forward to if you travel.

Pizza on the grill. No cheese, just olive oil, onions, fresh tomatoes and basil. Followed up with a Walkabout. A 9% stout with locally forraged oranges, Tewnty-four Blackbirds Chocolate, and Madagascar vanilla beans. From Third Window Brewing in Santa Barbara. Like the finest orange cream chocolate.

D8FDEB84-566D-4B2E-A871-BB6D33CDE603.jpeg

A local market had these on sale for 5.99 lb. This one got a little overdone so the strip was a little chewy, but the tenderloin was like butah. The store tries to slip in steaks that should be called T-bones, but at that price it still isn’t bad. Seems odd that they wouldn’t have them by you, unless you‘re very remote, I guess. Something to look forward to if you travel.
We live in a town of 10,000. Meat is actually cheap compared to where we used to live but there's not much selection, especially now with the pandemic. But I an get excellent ribeyes here and that's my favorite steak by far. For fajitas I go with sirloin, it's always available, and a lot of times we'll have t-bones, but never a good porterhouse.

One minor suggestion, next time you buy fish sauce, look for RedBoat instead of 3crabs. If it's not available, look for one that has the fewest ingredients. Ideally anchovies and salt.

*Opinion: this minor change makes a noteworthy improvement in flavor.

Have you tried this Fish Sauce? Found this on Milkstreet.com . Very good stuff.

26B60A10-34B4-498D-8284-EA9C9E0EB502.jpeg

BliS fish sauce is excellent but horribly over priced. Redboat 40n is all i use. The 50n just isnt worth it. All BliS did is age some Redboat in barrels. BliS Blast hot sauce though is worth every penny if you like a mild hot sauce occasionally. Its actually cheap when you consider the bottle size.

2nd choice would be MegaChef or New Town. Both are quite good but MegaChef is a Thai fish sauce. New Town is Vietnamese like Redboat.

Last edited:
BliS fish sauce is excellent but horribly over priced. Redboat 40n is all i use. The 50n just isnt worth it. All BliS did is age some Redboat in barrels. BliS Blast hot sauce though is worth every penny if you like a mild hot sauce occasionally. Its actually cheap when you consider the bottle size.

2nd choice would be MegaChef or New Town. Both are quite good but MegaChef is a Thai fish sauce. New Town is Vietnamese like Redboat.
MegaChef is ok. I have a small bottle in my office. But I can really taste the difference as compared to RedBoat 40N.

The 3crab, crab&shrimp, patis and other cheaper options are sub par. I usually look for ingredients to be as simple as salt and anchovies. Others have sugar, msg and a slew of other crap to make fishy flavored water rather than a quality product.

MegaChef is ok. I have a small bottle in my office. But I can really taste the difference as compared to RedBoat 40N.

Brown bottle or blue bottle?

Brown bottle only has 3% total sugars. Its also fermented 2yrs. Blue bottle is sweeter

Last edited:
I have got to give that a try!! I just love BLiS!

For using as a dipping fish sauce im sure you will love it. I think you can get Redboat 50N a little cheaper but its also hard to find. I can get 40N for about $5-6 a bottle and its just fine to me but im not a huge fan of Nuoc Cham, Nam Pla or any of the other fish sauce based dipping sauces to be honest.

Im far more into good soy sauce and black vinegar based dipping sauces. LKK double fermented and Gold Plum or Shuita 5yr for me thanks.

Last edited:
blue. I haven't seen the brown bottle in my local stops. Worth checking out?

My understanding is the blue is tailored to Thai cuisine and the brown is tailored more to Vietnamese. It aint no Redboat but its excellent for a Thai made fish sauce. Really good option for stuff like kimchi. The lacto bacteria will much that little bit of sugar away in no time and its only slightly more expensive than the blue bottle at my markets.

For using as a dipping fish sauce im sure you will love it. I think you can get Redboat 50N a little cheaper but its also hard to find. I can get 40N for about $5-6 a bottle and its just fine to me but im not a huge fan of Nuoc Cham, Nam Pla or any of the other fish sauce based dipping sauces to be honest.

Im far more into good soy sauce and black vinegar based dipping sauces. LKK double fermented and Gold Plum or Shuita 5yr for me thanks.
I've been looking for Red Boat 50N since I first saw you mention it here and still have no found it locally. Of course I forget to look most times. Still have no found black vinegar either. But then all I really need to do is go into Dallas 30 minutes or so away and I can find it all I'm sure.

Back