What did I cook this weekend.....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
One is allergic to peanuts, tree nuts, dairy, sesame seeds, eggs, and beef

The other one is allergic to dairy and sunflower.

We have gotten good at cooking and finding recipes they can have.
Wait beef allergy... I was aware of an illness that come from wood ticks that causes sickness from eating red meat. I feel sorry for the kids. That is tough.

One is allergic to peanuts, tree nuts, dairy, sesame seeds, eggs, and beef

The other one is allergic to dairy and sunflower.

We have gotten good at cooking and finding recipes they can have.
As I approached my 60s I suddenly developed food allergies, but strange ones. First it was almonds, then peaches, then hazelnuts and finally avocados. Nothing that need recipes to be reworked, but I have to avoid desserts at family dinners and potlucks because almond flour is in a lot of popular desserts. The avocado allergy hurts the most-I truly and dearly love guacamole, but it doesn't love me back.

As I approached my 60s I suddenly developed food allergies, but strange ones. First it was almonds, then peaches, then hazelnuts and finally avocados. Nothing that need recipes to be reworked, but I have to avoid desserts at family dinners and potlucks because almond flour is in a lot of popular desserts. The avocado allergy hurts the most-I truly and dearly love guacamole, but it doesn't love me back.
Did you become allergic allergic or just intolerant?

Wait beef allergy... I was aware of an illness that come from wood ticks that causes sickness from eating red meat. I feel sorry for the kids. That is tough.
Yep, had steaks one time and he loves them. Second time he had two bites and left it, then got hives up his back. Tested for it and he’s allergic to beef. Not all that uncommon for kids with dairy allergies.

It sucks the most for meal holidays. We always try to have them at our house so we can cook, but the family has so many “traditions” that we usually just end up opting out and do the big ones with just us. I don’t mind though, don’t have to drive and both my wife and I can cook some bomb ass food

Oooooooooo, the fun one.
My wife and I are skilled at asking wait staff about ingredients that may not be obvious. Also rarely eating out helps avoid problems. My real concern is what will I find out I'm allergic to next, ad how am I going to find out. I made a batch of guacamole for my son's family and just ate a tiny piece of avocado. The almond/peach problem developed over a 3 year period, avocado was instant.

Picked up 25 lbs of duck leg the other day at restaurant depot. Repackaging a third of it for home use
20230205_165053.jpg
20230205_173218.jpg

Attachments

• 20230205_173215.jpg
    20230205_173215.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 0
cross-slice the fat side, then fat side down until it's dark, then flip. First side (for the fatty ones I get) can be 20m. 2nd side, just a few minutes. Enjoy. I like duck :)

Thanks. I really should try confit. I've never done it, and I like to think of myself as a 'foodie' so there really is no excuse.

This is the easy method I've been using for the last few years for duck legs.
https://honest-food.net/easy-roast-duck-legs/
Love duck breast also but this purchase was legs only.

Test kitchen grilled chicken thighs. I do them over charcoal to add a little smoke flavor. I've made them on gas but they're not as good . One of my favorite things to make.

Test kitchen grilled chicken thighs. I do them over charcoal to add a little smoke flavor. I've made them on gas but they're not as good . One of my favorite things to make.

I love chicken thighs. We make them often. I'm going to try the spice paste used in the video. But the grill, no longer a fan. The last couple of years I've been making chicken thighs and legs in an air-fryer. Once you figure out the quirks of your particular unit... perfection. And in much less time than grilling. YMMV.

Here's the other chicken thigh recipe that I love to make if I don't feel like going outside

Thanks. I really should try confit. I've never done it, and I like to think of myself as a 'foodie' so there really is no excuse.

Ah sorry, my comments were really related to breasts. Magret is the one you want for that.

We eat a lot of duck confit in France, it's something we keep several bags of in the freezer. We like it grilled in the oven with chopped chestnuts sautéed in the fat.

We eat a lot of duck confit in France, it's something we keep several bags of in the freezer. We like it grilled in the oven with chopped chestnuts sautéed in the fat.
It comes in bags of 2 or 4 legs, cooked, and packed mass quantities of duck fat. When someone shows up we can quickly thaw it and make dinner

I do the same thing, in vac bags.
I can't do that here because I can't get duck locally. Our food choices are limited in my small New Mexico town compared to the choices we have in our French town of the same size. Over there I can go to the grocery store and choose from duck, goose, rabbit, horse, veal, beef, pork, chicken, etc. Their fresh seafood counter is enormous, with plenty of fresh fish choices-here we have farmed salmon, cod, and a few shellfish options(all previously frozen). The cheese counter there is 3 times the size of our entire deli section, their deli section is as big as our meat counter with choices Americans can't even conceive of. Don't get me started on the quality of the veggies over there.

I can't do that here because I can't get duck locally. Our food choices are limited in my small New Mexico town compared to the choices we have in our French town of the same size. Over there I can go to the grocery store and choose from duck, goose, rabbit, horse, veal, beef, pork, chicken, etc. Their fresh seafood counter is enormous, with plenty of fresh fish choices-here we have farmed salmon, cod, and a few shellfish options(all previously frozen). The cheese counter there is 3 times the size of our entire deli section, their deli section is as big as our meat counter with choices Americans can't even conceive of. Don't get me started on the quality of the veggies over there.
Wow. Count me envious!

I'll trade it all in for some fresh Hatch Green.

Brisket... 26 hrs sous vide @ 155f. Finished in oven, 275 convection for two hours. Resting now. When the bride gets home from shopping we'll slice it up. 2.5 lb flat that I took out of the freezer. No fat cap, and I can't remember what led to that. Looks good. Hoping for the best.
20230220_175624.jpg

Dreary rainy day here, so I made chili with ground beef and pork. View attachment 813384
Looks great. I was just thinking about making another vat of chili. The family loves it and I only have 1 eight cup container left in the freezer. Since I make the second best chili on the planet, I should be replenishing our supply.

Back