What did I cook this weekend.....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I smoked some salmon yesterday. Came out really good, considering it was a freezer clean up.
IMG_2458.jpeg

IMG_2459.jpeg

i have some walleye in the freezer either going to can or smoker. given it is a light fish probably canned option. make it as if smoking except add some liquid smoke to the jar before packing. then pressure cook. looks terrible but tastes great.

i have some walleye in the freezer either going to can or smoker. given it is a light fish probably canned option. make it as if smoking except add some liquid smoke to the jar before packing. then pressure cook. looks terrible but tastes great.
That sounds good. The only smoked white fish I’ve tried was sturgeon and it was delicious.

The other way we eat freezer salmon is to make salmon cakes then vac seal them and throw them back in freezer. Makes for super easy weeknight meals. My wife loves them over greens.

I smoked some salmon yesterday. Came out really good, considering it was a freezer clean up.
View attachment 850068
View attachment 850069
Looks really good. I also smoked some salmon Sunday. I like to vacuum seal it and freeze. Then I pull it our for breakfast toppings on bagels, cream cheese and capers.

I use the Bradley smoker recipe that has soy sauce, salt, brown sugar, garlic and cayenne. 100F for 1 hour, 140F for 3 hours and 170F for 1-2 hours depending on thickness. Can I ask what method/recipe you used?

Looks really good. I also smoked some salmon Sunday. I like to vacuum seal it and freeze. Then I pull it our for breakfast toppings on bagels, cream cheese and capers.

I use the Bradley smoker recipe that has soy sauce, salt, brown sugar, garlic and cayenne. 100F for 1 hour, 140F for 3 hours and 170F for 1-2 hours depending on thickness. Can I ask what method/recipe you used?
I use this recipe as a base. I really enjoy his recipes and website. I am also a part time fungus forager and refer to his site for that as well. This latest batch the only variation was to add 4 or 5 garlic cloves and a couple of turns of cracked black pepper to the brine. I'll sometimes add bay leaves and chili flakes.

I smoke on an older Green Mountain Grill pellet smoker. For this one I just set it at 150f for about 4 hours and then bumped it to 180f for the last hour or so just to bring the salmon up to about 130f before I pulled them out. With this method I don't get hardly any albumen, if at all. And it's just the right amount of smoke flavor (to me).

Oh yeah I also only use alder pellets for salmon. Which can be a pita because I don't use alder for anything else.

We go through a lot of salmon at our house. Below is a pic of the carnage.

IMG_1911.jpeg

Thank you for the recipe and info. Sounds like a similar recipe and process. I may give it a try next time around. I use alder as well but ran out this last batch and had to use half alder and half apple.

Thanks for the recipe. I hear many people argue on whether to smoke fish or not I love smoking food for other people but not much into fatty foods.

I'm pushing a hard hint of my two brothers on my birthdays gift next month. This thing is like a chord of wood. Not sure if it's organic tho
PXL_20240530_220535834.jpg

I have a sheet pan of oven-roasted Greek chicken thighs in the oven. Lemon, garlic (lots!), salt, pepper, Greek oregano, Greek olive oil. When they have 20 minutes left I'll add cubed feta, halved Kalamata olives, and snipped oil-packed seasoned sundried tomatoes.

I'll TRY to remember to take a picture but no promises! :)

I have a sheet pan of oven-roasted Greek chicken thighs in the oven. Lemon, garlic (lots!), salt, pepper, Greek oregano, Greek olive oil. When they have 20 minutes left I'll add cubed feta, halved Kalamata olives, and snipped oil-packed seasoned sundried tomatoes.

I'll TRY to remember to take a picture but no promises! :)
Sounds delicious!!

Smoked some ribs Saturday. St. Louis style with my own dry rub, over hickory. Very nice, but the more ribs I smoke, the more I believe spare ribs are the ultimate. Cut off the flap and smoke it separately. Leave the membrane on.

My wife no longer enjoys the local BBQ joints, which are pretty good. Has to have my ribs. I'm going to teach her to do it herself.

Fixed BBQ beans with fried smoked sausage slices. Homemade white bread in thick slices, fried in butter seasoned with both fresh and powdered garlic. Robert Irvine's cole slaw recipe. Roasted corn.

Who says America doesn't have great cuisine? Losers.

From Sunday,
104784BE-59B7-4211-9224-E94B1D759BBC.jpeg

I had a package of beef breakfast sausage meat, which hubby found to be too herbaceous, so I turned it into sausage gravy for the following week. Too tuckered after working my HBC competition so I didn’t make fresh biscuits. Looks like SOS, but it was pretty tasty.
4E2F4D7C-18DF-4996-85B7-3BB3A9EAB70E.jpeg
971D3863-B725-4B13-8A93-580ED4E9A87C.jpeg

Fired up the grill for top round London broil, a little over done, but juicy anyway.

We've been doing our ribs exactly that way. Buy spares, cut off the flap, leave on the membrane, season lightly, smoke, finish in the grill on indirect heat at 250* with the lid shut or in the oven. Dayum tasty stuff!

Your menu sounds perfect.
I don't get baby backs. Pay more for less, and they don't have that tasty, juicy fat. And removing the membrane seems weird to me. It's meat!

Next time we'll get spare ribs from Sam's. We bought St. Louis ribs elsewhere because the price on spare ribs that day was no good.

Meatloaf today, with roasted red potatoes in butter, garlic, and tarragon. Really nice. I got tired of the traditional layer of baked ketchup, so I make brown gravy. Beef, pork, eggs, oatmeal, bread crumbs and some other stuff.

My wife tried it for the first time and said it needed a bunch of ingredients to be reduced so the beef flavor would come through. I told her that would just be roasted hamburger. She had no problem with that.

A package of Costco's St Louis style ribs. 3 racks, so cut in half for ease of cooking in the Foodi Ninja. 35 minute pressure cook, then 15 minutes on the grill at 400 for half, 15 minutes on air fry in the Foodi at 400 for the other half, plus grilled corn on the cob. I wanted to see if there was a noticeable difference in the finishing method. There was, but no one had a favorite.

A package of Costco's St Louis style ribs. 3 racks, so cut in half for ease of cooking in the Foodi Ninja. 35 minute pressure cook, then 15 minutes on the grill at 400 for half, 15 minutes on air fry in the Foodi at 400 for the other half, plus grilled corn on the cob. I wanted to see if there was a noticeable difference in the finishing method. There was, but no one had a favorite.
Did you have a preference?

Somehow my son and I got to cook our father's day dinner, but that's okay, it was fun. I grilled 2 pounds of shrimp s an appetizer, then ribeyes for the son and me, tenderloins for my wife and grandson. The 6 year old likes his steak very rare-my wife tried to get me to cook it more but he wanted it like it was. Our son cooked a side dish of sautéed green beans and mushrooms in garlic butter.

Somehow my son and I got to cook our father's day dinner, but that's okay, it was fun. I grilled 2 pounds of shrimp s an appetizer, then ribeyes for the son and me, tenderloins for my wife and grandson. The 6 year old likes his steak very rare-my wife tried to get me to cook it more but he wanted it like it was. Our son cooked a side dish of sautéed green beans and mushrooms in garlic butter.
Corky, good for your grandson for knowing what he likes and good on YOU to cook it that way for him! My Dad ALWAYS overcooked my steak even though I'd stand there and tell him, "Please take it off now, Dad!" he wouldn't do it, he'd say "It's still mooing!" LOL! I'm 70 now and I STILL like my steak very rare. Not blue (although I've been known to eat it that way) but warm all the way through.

I offered KOTC several choices for his dinner yesterday and he chose taco salad so that's what we had. It was delicious.

Interesting what you guys call shrimps we call prawns. Our prawns are bigger than our shrimp which are tiny. Shrimps are usually cooked then served in butter that’s melted then hardened.
IMG_0436.jpeg
IMG_0435.jpeg

Interesting what you guys call shrimps we call prawns. Our prawns are bigger than our shrimp which are tiny. Shrimps are usually cooked then served in butter that’s melted then hardened.
View attachment 851342View attachment 851343
Over here prawns are huge, up to 15 cm. Shrimp are sized and sold by how many are in a pound. 60/80 are small, we usually buy the 20/30 size.

Back