What did I cook this weekend.....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

Oldskewl

Reaction score
Wish I had some better finished shots, but we made pierogi last night for National Pierogi Day. Not something I had much growing up aside from the boxes of frozen Mrs. T's pierogi, but my father-in-law is Polish so we have them at least once a year there.

First time I've made them myself at home. Some were cabbage/onion, some were sauerkraut, and some with pulled pork from a butt roast I smoked.
Those Peirogi look like the real deal. Great job. Nice to see someone do something other than potato and cheese. Love cabbage pierogi!

crazyjake19

Reaction score
Those Peirogi look like the real deal. Great job. Nice to see someone do something other than potato and cheese. Love cabbage pierogi!
Thank you! I'm already brainstorming for next time. I make a few batches of kimchi throughout the year, and I'd to use some in pierogi.

Maybe some with sauerkraut again but add pastrami and swiss cheese to make reuben pierogi, and top them with a dab of Russian dressing.

I also have some leftover chopped brisket point from a recent smoke. I'm thinking about filling some pierogi with that, boiling them, smoking them for a bit, then the final pan frying or possibly grilling instead.

AzOr

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
1938EA23-A457-43B2-B228-75AD4A5985F8.jpeg
43A19D16-0600-48F9-924B-9BFFC4220225.jpeg
First time finding and cooking a lobster mushroom. I cut into bite sized pieces and sautéed in butter and olive oil. Then made omelette in the same pan, turning it a beautiful reddish color.
It has a very strange texture, firm yet soft when you bite into it.

I love mushroom season!

Oldskewl

Reaction score
Thank you! I'm already brainstorming for next time. I make a few batches of kimchi throughout the year, and I'd to use some in pierogi.

Maybe some with sauerkraut again but add pastrami and swiss cheese to make reuben pierogi, and top them with a dab of Russian dressing.

I also have some leftover chopped brisket point from a recent smoke. I'm thinking about filling some pierogi with that, boiling them, smoking them for a bit, then the final pan frying or possibly grilling instead.
I like the reuben idea. You could add smoked cream cheese to the brisket, it might save you from actually smoking the pierogi. My aunt and cousin make pierogi often. They did some steak and cheese pierogi last year that turned out nice(with onion an jalepeno). I gotta say cabbage/sauerkraut or mushroom are my favs.

Staestc

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score

Staestc

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
They come pre-stuffed...one of our favorites!
Told wife about seeing this here, and she says "I saw that last time we were in there". lol She does not like Salmon. Actually she does not like Lox, but she unfortunately extrapolates to all salmon. I'm going have to give this a try and maybe change her mind :)

Last edited:

Staestc

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I was certain that I posted this Tri-Tip from last Sunday already, but I don't see it anywhere. I swear this is the best tasking piece of meat I have ever cooked! Much better than my last Tri-Tip. I pretty much winged this recipe based on a bunch of different recipes. First off, I found a beautifully marbled tri-tip at Kroger that was about 3 pounds. Seasoned it with salt pepper, garlic powder, paprika, and New Mexico chili powder from Rancho Gordo and let it sit in the fridge for about 3 hours. Smoked it on the pellet grill at 225 degrees F until 125-130 internal, basting every 15 minutes with a mix of red wine vinegar, canola oil, crushed garlic, and Dijon mustard, then gave it a really quick sear. Rested for 15-20 minutes. Served with RG Pinquito beans and Caesar salad. Oh, and Thai Drunken noodles from last night. Noodles were overcooked but still tasty.

IMG_7076.jpg
IMG_7078.jpg
IMG_7086.jpg

BongoYodeler

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I was certain that I posted this Tri-Tip from last Sunday already, but I don't see it anywhere. I swear this is the best tasking piece of meat I have ever cooked! Much better than my last Tri-Tip. I pretty much winged this recipe based on a bunch of different recipes. First off, I found a beautifully marbled tri-tip at Kroger that was about 3 pounds. Seasoned it with salt pepper, garlic powder, paprika, and New Mexico chili powder from Rancho Gordo and let it sit in the fridge for about 3 hours. Smoked it on the pellet grill at 225 degrees F until 125-130 internal, basting every 15 minutes with a mix of red wine vinegar, canola oil, crushed garlic, and Dijon mustard, then gave it a really quick sear. Rested for 15-20 minutes. Served with RG Pinquito beans and Caesar salad. Oh, and Thai Drunken noodles from last night. Noodles were overcooked but still tasty.

View attachment 745701View attachment 745703View attachment 745704
Tri tip is such a great tasting cut of beef as it is, and yours looks freaking awesome.

I live near Santa Maria, where Tri tip is huge. On weekends there are several large portable bbqs setup throughout the city, usually in parking lots, cooking to-go tri tip dinners. It's near to impossible to drive around and not smell trip tip grilling.

AzOr

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Tri-tip rules! It’s a very beefy tasting cut.
It’s practically foolproof as well.
If anyone out there hasn’t tried it. Do it. Now.

Just let the meat rest for an hour or so at room temp. Season w your favorite rub. Then cook to an internal temp of 125ish. Then sear if you choose.

I sometimes will smoke on my pellet grill but I also just throw on grill as well.

Reaction score
Continuing with my excursion into Greek, and in this case Greekish, recipes, I made Spanakopita Pinwheels :) Just awesome. Next I need to make traditional Spanakopita with filo dough instead of this puff pastry roll up version. The filling is just amazing. Used block President Feta from Costco and it's a very nice Feta. These guys did not last long! :)View attachment 745010
That looks great.

If you want a real culinary challenge (and I know you do :) ), make your own filo dough too. It can be done at home.

And if you have phyllo dough, you can make somte tarts. I totally made up this recipe, but just cut up some apples, make a sugar syrup, throw a bit of cinammon in there, and fold it up and put some of that syrup or powdered sugar on the outside and bake. Great!