What did I buy? Kegerator help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeepers79

Reaction score
Let me start off by saying - Im a total nube, so please bear with me, and assume I know nothing!

Few questions..
what style kegs do I need to fit this hook up?
Best source to get them?

What size Co tank is this?

I only paid 70$ for this setup - its old, but hopefully will do the job.

Any setup help would be sweet.

keg1.jpg

Keg2.jpg

keg3.jpg

looks like a twenty pound co2 bottle (get filled at a welding shop) american type d sankey coupler, which will be good for most american commercial kegs (get em anywhere they sell kegs), looks like theres a hump on the bottom floor of the kegerator, but is that a shelf, if so you could fit 1/2 barrel keg, if no shelf than 1/4's or 1/6's.... dificult to tell without measurments.

Also if I were you, I'd replace the beer line with new line, its cheap, and you probably don't know what the PO's cleaning regime was like. Also tear apart the faucet, and scrub it, if it's really skanky, replace it. That way your sure you get nice clean, delicous beer.

The coupler is definitely a sankey, and most likely a type D. It's the most common style for commercial beer in the US.

If you want to legally acquire kegs for putting your homebrew in and serving, you might be better off buying corny kegs and the corresponding couplers than trying to source sankey kegs.

The CO2 tank is way too small to be a 20#. Looks more like a 2.5# tank to me.

I agree about replacing the beer line. It's cheap, replacing will give you piece of mind, and the one that's in there looks like it might be too short. I'd start with 10' of 3/16" ID beer line, and trim if necessary.

okay guys thanks for jumping on me.....typo....I actually meant to say 10 lb tank (actually looks like an O2 tank)......no way is it a 2.5lb look at the picture its at least two inches wider than that tower which is 3" and taller than a five pound tank. Anyway just go to a local liquor store that sells kegs and exachange it for a full one.

what style kegs do I need to fit this hook up?

I'm going to go with the majority and say it looks like a Sanke "D" system -- which is the most popular. See here.

Best source to get them?

I cannot tell where you live, so I cannot answer this.

What size Co tank is this?

It looks like a 15# tank. But check this to be sure.

I only paid 70$ for this setup - its old, but hopefully will do the job.

Such a deal. If the fridge works, you could customize for an absurdly minimal amount of cash. Or, just refill the tank and just tap commercial brews for an absurdly more minimal amount of cash.

Back