What determines racking to secondary or not?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Catsnstuff

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
We're trying a couple of batches of Apfelwein, based loosely on Ed Wort's. I notice that his recipe says "racking to a secondary is not necessary", and indeed, we tried doing this for our first batch after several weeks and I think it was a mistake - it was still bubbling a fair bit, but after shifting it fementation slowed RIGHT down.

My question is, what determines if you should rack to secondary or not? My understanding is that it's to get rid of the layer of old yeast that might be breeding undesirables (please correct me if I'm wrong, or add anything.) Why aren't they a problem with Apfelwein?

Thanks very much in advance.

As Texas said, It depends what you are making. Cider tends to oxidize, so I skip the secondary. I have noticed some people secondary when they try and do a semi sweet cider.(the thinking is you cold crash twice, and the likely hood of having yeast still in the cider is minimal.)

Thanks very much! From the sounds of it, I think we'll be experimenting with not racking to secondary. At this stage in learning, the less I muck around with it, the safer I feel. :p

Back