What craft beer to try next

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

danculwell

Reaction score
So what craft beer should i try next while I wait for my current batch to condition? (I hope I can get a decent pipeline going soon) Here's the deal though, I live in Iowa and due to our stupid beer laws it's hard to get a lot of the beers I read about here so the have to be on this list

Any suggestions?

i'd say La Fin Du Monde from Unibroue if you haven't had that yet. i just had my first one last night and it might be the best beer i've tasted so far in my quest to become a beer aficionado. and if you think your laws are bad, try mississippi. 5.9%ABV max!

Their Dogfish Head selection is a little weak, but the 60 and the chicory stout are decent
Goose Island bourbon county is good, but pricey
Can always go for some good Belgians, Duvel and Rochefort
They have Sierra Nevada Bigfoot
Not much else jumped out at me...

Hi Dan, last summer I had some of Iowa's own Millstream Brewing's beers while visiting their brewery in the Amana Colonies. A good selection and worth a taste if you've not had them.

:mug:

have a weihenstephaner lager... but the bottle will say "original premium" and not simply 'lager'. everyone needs to know what a proper munich helles tastes like.

Kostritzer Schwartzbier. Try it. For me , it defines schwartzbeir, and will change your ideas of what a black beer can taste like.

Hi Dan, last summer I had some of Iowa's own Millstream Brewing's beers while visiting their brewery in the Amana Colonies. A good selection and worth a taste if you've not had them.

:mug:

Oh I've had them all. I used to live about 2 blocks from the brewery :)

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I'll definitely try the Kostritzer and sense I have no idea what a proper munich helles tastes like then I guess I have to try that.

I've had 60 minute and it was awesome. I'll have to give the chicory stout a try.

I'll probably have to pass on the La Fin Du Monde unless I can find it elsewhere (I'm not limited to that store but their the only ones with a beer list online). I might be the best beer ever but I'm not spending $150.00 on 6 liters of anything.

Keep em coming, thanks.

I'll probably have to pass on the La Fin Du Monde unless I can find it elsewhere (I'm not limited to that store but their the only ones with a beer list online). I might be the best beer ever but I'm not spending $150.00 on 6 liters of anything.

That 6L one is some rare version of it. I'm assuming lpdb meant the regular $7 750ml one. anyway, everything from unibroue is great plus u can just get solo 11oz for $3 so u can try them all if you wanted.

if you like scotch ale, traquair house ale is the best ive ever had.

First off....that list doesn't sound too terrible. The way your post started sounded like you lived in 'Hick-ville' with only BMC products available!! LOL. Dude....just go to the store and window shop. I never leave the liquor/beer store without something I haven't tried yet. It's a hit or miss scenario of course, but that's part of the fun. Hell...even when I was putting commercial brews in my keggerator (before I started this money pit!!), the owner would let me 'shop' in the keg cooler. Never had the same beer on tap twice. Which is why I love this hobby.

John's is an awesome store. I love that place.

As for the beer list, you've got so many to choose from just pick a letter a week and pick at random. There are some excellent beers on the list.:mug:

GO HAWKS...!

Another vote for Lefthand Milk Stout. If stouts are too much, the New Belgium Black Ale is great too. Surprised nothing from Odells on the list

Rogue Brutal Bitter. I'm not sure why they named it that because it's not brutally bitter at all. It's smooth and very well balanced.

Ayinger Celebrator, Chimay Priemer, Delirium Nocturnum, Delirium Tremmens, Hacker-Pschorr Weisse, Lefthand Milk Stout

That's a good list that I'd second.

I'll add a few of my favorites:

Schenkerla Rauchbier Marzen - This is a really unique beer and I can't say I've ever had anything remotely similar. If you're a meat eater, you have to try it. It's like drinking a campfire crossed with bacon.

Westmalle Tripel - In my opinion, the best Tripel readily available in the US market. A must for anyone wanting to sample the pinnacle of Belgian brewing tradition.

Kostritzer Schwartzbier - Another unique German style. It's a black lager that imparts a heavily roasted malt flavor without being too heavy due to the lagering process. One of my personal favorites.

Kirin Ichiban - My favorite Japanese beer, and a very good "yellow" beer for hot summer days. It's refreshing and full bodied at the same time.

Anyways... I wouldn't disparage the beers you have available to you on that list. I could go on and on with that list. It's a very good selection. The only thing that would make me sad about that list is it's missing some good American microbrews that I can get here in the Midwest such as Three Floyds and Clipper City beers.

That is a pretty big list. You should be good for a while! LOL

A couple off the list that I like and have tried recently would be the Breckenridge Vanilla Porter and the Bells Porter. Both really good brews for a cold winter day.

I've actually got some video reviews of the beer if you want to see what they look like.

Review of Breckenridge Vanilla Porter

Review of Bells Porter

Let me know what you think if you try them!

Oh I agree that it's a good list, and a great store at that. That's part of the reason I asked for some guidance. So many to choose from. I could do what I usually do and pick something at random or with a cool name or cool label but I thought I would see what you guys suggest. Thanks for the great suggestions. Main reason I posted John's site was to make sure I could find what your suggesting. Hopefully they lift that limit soon so that anything over 6% isn't taxed as liquor.

I really like 1554 so I think that's why the Schwartz beer appeals to me.

P.S.
Hell yeah go Hawks!!!!

Back