What category is a Coconut Porter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yooper said:
I've only seen them in 21A. Aren't coconuts considered a nut? I guess technically the coconut meat would be the fruit, but a coconut itself would be a nut of a coconut palm tree.

Hmmm. I'll take your word for it, you've seen way more competition than me. I just don't wanna get DQ for wrong category. I have till May to figure it out.

I've only seen them in 21A. Aren't coconuts considered a nut? I guess technically the coconut meat would be the fruit, but a coconut itself would be a nut of a coconut palm tree.

Well I entered mine as a fruit beer and it won the category....so I think 20 works.

FYI, botannically it's actually a "drupe", which is a fruit, along the lines of cherries or plums that have skin, pulpy flesh then a hard seed in the middle. Here is an explanation that helped me understand it best:

"The coconut is considered a dry drupe with a green, waterproof outer layer (exocarp), a thick, buoyant, fibrous husk (mesocarp) and a hard, woody, inner layer (endocarp) surrounding the large seed. The actual seed embryo is embedded in the coconut meat (endosperm). Nutrient-rich coconut milk is liquid endosperm that has not formed firm tissue with cell walls."

drathbone said:
FYI, botannically it's actually a "drupe", which is a fruit, along the lines of cherries or plums that have skin, pulpy flesh then a hard seed in the middle. Here is an explanation that helped me understand it best:

"The coconut is considered a dry drupe with a green, waterproof outer layer (exocarp), a thick, buoyant, fibrous husk (mesocarp) and a hard, woody, inner layer (endocarp) surrounding the large seed. The actual seed embryo is embedded in the coconut meat (endosperm). Nutrient-rich coconut milk is liquid endosperm that has not formed firm tissue with cell walls."

Endosperm Stout. Sounds.....tasty???

Back