What Category for a Competition 2015 Style Guidelines

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hopper5000

Reaction score
Hey All,

I am planning on entering a competition pretty soon and am having some trouble picking a category to enter in. I have two barrel aged beers.

One is an imperial saison (Super Saison according to the new guideline) which was aged in a white wine barrel.

The other is a Curieux clone, so it was a Belgian Tripple aged in a bourbon barrel.

I am thinking that these should go into the wood aged category but I am not sure which would fit which one or if that's even appropriate.

I know there is the commercial clone beer category but the my version has way more barrel and booze flavor then the commercial example so I am not sure how well it would do in that category. However, I am not sure how well it might do in 33B because it's not a very common style to barrel age and the barrel flavor is very strong. It's got some hot alcohol flavor too (maybe I shouldn't enter it at all?)

I am also thinking maybe the Saison could go in the 33A Category but I am not really sure how well it fits in there. It does have a nice oak flavor and some mineraly flavor from the wine, but that's not really something that is described in that category.

Thanks for any help.

If secondary barrel character is present from what was in the barrel previously it should go into specialty wood-aged. The Curieux clone can go in either specialty wood-aged or clone beer. Clone beer is a weird category and how you describe the beer is important as many judges may not have had Curieux.

Back