What can I make with the ingredients I've got?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ramey70

Reaction score
5# Briess Extra Light DME
5# 2 row
1/2# carapils
1# Flaked Corn
White Labs American Lager Yeast

Hops
.65oz Magnum
1oz Galena
1oz Cascades
.25oz Mt Hood
.50oz Styrian Goldings

I have a lagering cabinet and an extra fridge for cold storage. What's a good recipe with the ingredients I have. I'd like a nice session beer if possible.

An American lager given your yeast. If you want to toss that you could make a nice Belgian blonde too.

Here's what I'd do:

Partial Mash, 5 gallons

4 lbs 2-row
1 lb flaked maize

When I brew a partial mash, I collect 3.5 gallons or so from the mash/sparge and use that for my boiling liquor. The pre-boil gravity in this case will be 1040, post-boil 1047, with 3 gallons left in the kettle.

Bitter with Styrian Goldings. 0.5 oz for 60 minutes @ 5%AA = ~20IBU.

At flameout, dissolve 1.5 lbs DME; after, add 0.25 oz Mt Hood for flavor/aroma, then top up to 5 gallons. Chill, pitch, ferment, etc. with your procedure, using the lager yeast.

That's how I'd do it, anyhow. You can use your own partial-mash procedure.

I think you'll end up with a very tasty American Pilsner! I'd brew it.

Call it "Double-Hops Brewed" or something. ;)

Bob

Why may I ask would you use the goldings for bittering instead of the magnums? Wouldn't the high alpha magnums be more useful as a bittering hop since you could use less for the same IBU's?

Because Magnum has a very strong flavor component that often remains even after a lengthy boil. That characteristic is too likely to leap out in such a light beer. I'd rather have the delicate characteristics of Mt Hood at the fore.

You dig?

Bob

Back