What can I expect from this?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bilge_pump

Reaction score
So I learned a lesson about grains yesterday brewing my second all-grain batch, a pumpkin imposter ale (used sweet potatoes instead). My homebrew shop is small, and I couldn't find plain ol' munich malt, but I did see something called "Caramunich I" on a shelf full of malts with the Cara- prefix (I still don't understand the difference between malts with the I, II, or III by them). So I threw in a pound of that in addition to seven pounds of pale malt and a pound of Carapils. Then of course there are the 3.5 lbs of canned yams I used in the mash.

My question is, having read that "cara/crystal" malts should be used sparingly, and that I have 16% of them in the mash (including the yams, discluding the yams they make up 22% of the bill), what can I expect from this beer? Is it going to be overly sweet? How is caramunich I different from munich?

I used about 1.75 oz. of hops (willamette + ekg) total in the 90 minute boil, along with 1 tsp of nutmeg and 2 of cinnamon. I added the juice from the can with 10 mins left in the boil.

Thanks for your input. Wish my HBS shop had more to offer.

The caramunich is going to add a bit of unfermentables so there will likely be a bit more residual sweetness in the beer than you may have originally intended. However, with the yams you used that might throw another curveball in there so I would say it will turn out interesting either way.

Back