What can I do with these grains?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrNic

Reaction score
Hi everyone. I have some leftover grains from a recent brew and I was hoping to figure out what I should brew with them. I have 4 oz each of chocolate, Munich, and English medium crystal. I also have 8oz of roasted barley. My initial thoughts are a stout, but that's what I just brewed. Thoughts?

Mild. You may only need 4 oz of Roast B. along with the chocolate in order to hit a reasonable color and flavor profile. I like complimentary roast malts in a mild and it is such a tasty beer to drink. Good luck, keep us posted on what you decide.

I would go with the mild,but throw the Munich too

Sent from my GT-I8552B using Home Brew mobile app

+1 mild. I am, at this very moment, brewing up a mild using the dregs of what I have left sitting around from the past couple brews -- basically exactly what you've got, minus the roasted barley (and some lower crystals). It's a great style -- easy to drink, and a nice change of pace from the crazy IIPAs and Imperial Stouts and such that we all seem to focus on so much. Just throw in some nice English hops and voila! :mug:

Will do. It'll probably be a little while. How long will crushed grains stay fresh for if I have them in the freezer?

To be honest, I'm not sure how long they'll last, as I've never frozen my grains before -- not for any particular reason, except I guess that I use them up quickly enough that it has never crossed my mind...

I do wonder, however, about the effect that freezing will have on them. I know that freezing certain items (for example, fresh fruit) is common practice when they are destined for secondary, in part to reduce any resident bacteria, but also to break up the cell walls, making it easier to incorporate into the beer. Since dried grains retain a small percentage of moisture, I wonder if that cell wall breakage would occur with the grain as well, and if so, whether it would affect the mash (for better or for worse). Perhaps the moisture level is too low for that to happen, but now I'm curious. Maybe someone with a bit more information on the subject could weigh in here?

Back