What can a brew with 3 lbs of Pilsen and 3 lbs of White Wheat?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

msa8967

mickaweapon
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I have 3 lbs of pilsen and 3 lbs of wheat uncrushed grain that were premixed for a Berliner Weisse kit that I decided not to make. Since I cannot sort the pilsen and the wheta out can anyone suggest a beer that I could make from this grain? (I have other grains plus more pilsen and wheat to add to a potential recipe.)

Add a couple more pounds of wheat and weihenstephan yeast throw in some halletaur hops and you will have a very tasty wheat beer.

Hefe, dunkel, weizenbock, or even a wit if you wanted to. It all depends on the other ingredients and the yeast you have on hand.

What other ingredients do you have on hand? You can make just about anything with a couple pounds of wheat in it.

Depending on what else you have on hand, you could make lots! If you add some 2-row, you could make an American pale ale. I like my base malts for pale ales to have 2-row, pilsner, and wheat. Adds some nice complexity to the backbone of the beer.

Depending on what else you have on hand, you could make lots! If you add some 2-eow, you could make an American pale ale. I like my base malts for pale also to have 2-row, pilsner, and wheat. Adds some nice complexity to the backbone of the beer.

I have not tried many recipes that use all three pale malt, pilsen and wheat. What ratio of pale malt, pilsen and wheat might you recommend?

You've already got 6 lbs of base malts, so you should add 3 more, plus some crystal, and maybe a bit of victory or biscuit.

I'm about to brew a Berliner Weisse with literally 3 lb of pilser and 3 lb of white wheat. Get some lactobacillus, an ounce of hallertauer, as well as some yeast, and your ready to brew a 5 gallon batch of it!

I'm about to brew a Berliner Weisse with literally 3 lb of pilser and 3 lb of white wheat. Get some lactobacillus, an ounce of hallertauer, as well as some yeast, and your ready to brew a 5 gallon batch of it!

This was the grain from a Berliner Weisse that I am no longer going to make. It was intended for my wife but seeing as how she is now pregnant and can't enjoy it I want to use the grain for something else.

I vote to make a hefe. Its the right time of the year for them but I could be bias as I am on my forth hefe tonight.

I have not tried many recipes that use all three pale malt, pilsen and wheat. What ratio of pale malt, pilsen and wheat might you recommend?

I typically use either equal parts 2-row and pilsner or around 60-65:40-35 ratio. I also use 1-2# wheat, though 3 wouldn't hurt.

I have plenty of other common specialty grains and crystal malts. I was thinking of adding 3 pounds of pale malt, some crystal 20 and some small amount of victory.

Not sure if you noticed, but I recommended this exact mix about 45 minutes before you posted this. What hops do you have?

Saison
Belgian single
Grissette
Wit - throw some oats in
German hefe

Back