What came in the mail for you today?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For me, a year's worth of hops.

20220708_174509.jpg

Thanks to @wardens355

For Sale - Various Pellet Hops for Sale

Nothing. And it's 10 weeks since I ordered an RO system from a very legit looking site. On googling 'Tru Water Scam' there are dozens suckers like me still waiting and the odd one who suspiciously gives a great review. Maybe it'll arrive despite the complete deficit of customer service... thinking 'positively' they may just be an off-shore front in-turn waiting on alibaba, just using a local domain duplicitously.

On the plus side, I just poured a gentle malty pilsner, with (it turns out) just enough Riwaka to leave me with a thoughtful mouthful, feeling smug and wondering maybe I don't need it after all.

If you're in the US, Amazon may be a giant, centralised anti-competitive monopoly but at least when you screw up retailing there, the reviews are adjacent to the sellers' names and matter!

Nothing. And it's 10 weeks since I ordered an RO system from a very legit looking site. On googling 'Tru Water Scam' there are dozens suckers like me still waiting and the odd one who suspiciously gives a great review. Maybe it'll arrive despite the complete deficit of customer service... thinking 'positively' they may just be an off-shore front in-turn waiting on alibaba, just using a local domain duplicitously.

On the plus side, I just poured a gentle malty pilsner, with (it turns out) just enough Riwaka to leave me with a thoughtful mouthful, feeling smug and wondering maybe I don't need it after all.

If you're in the US, Amazon may be a giant, centralised anti-competitive monopoly but at least when you screw up retailing there, the reviews are adjacent to the sellers' names and matter!
Yeah, it’s probably time to get a charge back from your cc, and keep an eye on it for fraudulent charges. Many of us have ”bought “ something at a too good to be true price. Sometimes I look up an address on maps to find no store… could be a legit drop shipper, but they should answer questions etc.

Some of this will grow up to be a Bock beer soon. Some is extra. Plus a few extra packets of yeast. I’m going to give Diamond another chance sometime. I don’t know what’s up with the Hallertau Blanc hops because I didn’t order them, but I’ll find a use for them. The liquid bock yeast was a gamble this time of year and was very warm when my wife opened the box for me. I’ll do a starter and see if they’ll perform.
F2051836-BD8E-4C92-A888-CF186BE6C6E4.jpeg

I picked up a 64 ounce Ukeg at a local discount store to go with the one gallon size that I already had, brand new in the box.

They are nice for going places with beer.
Keeps the beer cold and looks cool
Picture please. I'm moving toward smaller vessels and interested in seeing options.

Yesterday a John Guest bulk head and shut off valve arrived for a 1 1/2 gal wide mouth fermenter that I'm making. Now to find a 5 1/2 in seal for the top. I want to ferment one gal melomels with better
20220814_142934.jpg
access to punch the fruit down easily. I'm hoping to find a more appropriate lid but at least this one fits nicely.

O rings finally arrived today. The last pieces needed to finish my experiment building a small stainless fermenter. The vessel began life as a beverage dispenser for tea, lemonade and such. It holds about one and a half gallons and has a wide five and a half inch opening. It was given to me without a lid. Sourced each part from a different supplier. Now it's finally complete and I can try it out. I made it for melomel and cider test batches so the fruit can be pushed down easily. Wish me luck as I plan on making a Huckleberry Melomel for it's first run.
20220822_191319.jpg

Sourdough ale... 🤔
No, though I likely have ale yeast as well as the wild ones in my sourdough starter. The Belgian liege waffles were originally made with Brewer’s yeast, so I’m doing to dip into one of my saved liquid yeast jars in the fridge to use for the dough. If it fails to prove I can always add bakers yeast. Sorry I wasn’t clear.

The Belgian liege waffles were originally made with Brewer’s yeast, so I’m doing to dip into one of my saved liquid yeast jars in the fridge to use for the dough. If it fails to prove I can always add bakers yeast. Sorry I wasn’t clear.
Historically there was no difference - you couldn't go out and buy little packs of yeast, people made beer to grow up yeast, which was "consumed" by baking bread. Even today, commercial baking yeast in Europe seems to work much better for brewing than North American baking yeast from what I hear, suggesting that North American baking yeast is the weird exception.

Historically there was no difference - you couldn't go out and buy little packs of yeast, people made beer to grow up yeast, which was "consumed" by baking bread. Even today, commercial baking yeast in Europe seems to work much better for brewing than North American baking yeast from what I hear, suggesting that North American baking yeast is the weird exception.
Interesting that you should say that about European baker‘s yeast, one site that I was exploring for ingredients had large packages from Lasaffre. Here in the US, Red Star is the only yeast supplier, that I’m aware of that has baking yeast and yeast for wine making.

Impressive quality for just a few dollars ... and I thought a "stubby" was really talking to me for this application and I'd say that was maybe a good call

View attachment 778797
Like you, I buy extra tools to leave where I need them. That stubby reminds me of the one in my dirtbike gear. A reg ratchet can't get the plug out. Yours looks a hundred times better than my old unfinished one, ha.

Like you, I buy extra tools to leave where I need them. That stubby reminds me of the one in my dirtbike gear. A reg ratchet can't get the plug out. Yours looks a hundred times better than my unfinished one, ha.
I own enough tools for three people ... I used to practically live at Sears ... now I love to buy little speciality tools for my ADV motorcycle ... yep, that ratchet action is super smooth

DSC_0513.JPG

I got a short malt pipe for my new 50L Braumeister. I was a bit disappointed the standard malt pipe for my 20L was too big, with the seal fitted, to sit inside the inner heating element. The 2 element nuts made it a tiny fraction too small. A few more tweaks and it's going to be time for her maiden voyage. Literally, once I wire the speakers in my new permanent brewing area 🤘

Latest posts

Back