What burner to buy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

benzy4010

Reaction score
Have an old burner borrowed from friend but I need to get another anyone got recommendation?

What are you planning to use it for? HLT and Mash Tun burners don't need as big of a burner as your brew kettle. I use this one for my HLT and Mashtun (and under my jambalaya pot):

http://www.bayouclassicdepot.com/sq14_propane_burner.htm

I'm partial to jet burners for the brew kettle. I use them to boil 15 gals water in a crawfish pot.

http://www.bayouclassicdepot.com/sp2-double-jet-propane-burner.htm

Another factor to consider is what kind of pot are you putting on the burner. Keggles will require more surface area than a 7 gallon pot.

If you are looking to do all grain batches (or even considering it) my suggestion is a banjo burner (KAB4). I love mine.

If money is no object blichmann with extension legs. For a little cheaper you could get the camp chef from morebeer with extension legs. The reason I mention these is because its really nice not having to lift a kettle full of wort (especially when your doing 9-10 gallon batches) to drain into fermenters. With the taller burners you can cool your wort and drain right into your carboys.

So amazon is currently running a sale on bayou classic burners and I'm also trying to figure out what to buy. From what I'm seeing an sp10 or sq14 should work for my HLT and the perhaps a jet burner for my boil kettle such as an sp1, does this sound about right or will any of the burners do for both? My concern about the sp1 is just that I keep reading how hungry for propane it is relative to non-jet burners, even more so a dual jet. Also, is it important to have a "high pressure" burner as opposed to something else? And finally, anyone have problems with keggles not fitting on any of these burners? From. He pictures it is hard to tell the size. Thanks for the help and sorry for the litany of noob questions.

I have an SP 10 and tried a keggle on it. It DID NOT fit. The burner is only 14 inches diameter and the keggle needs a 17 inch base as the bottom is not flat.

beerguy2009 said:
I have an SP 10 and tried a keggle on it. It DID NOT fit. The burner is only 14 inches diameter and the keggle needs a 17 inch base as the bottom is not flat.

I have a cheapo turkey fryer from depot. And it is way smaller than my keggle but it works fine. What was your issue with the burner being smaller?

I ran a borrowed bayou classic for a long time before switching to the burner that blichmann uses...can't remember the burners actual name. I call it an hurricane burner.

Both are fine with a keggle, the bayou classic is really noisy but if you brew outside that doesn't really matter. The large hurricane burner is whisper quiet.

davis119 said:
I have a cheapo turkey fryer from depot. And it is way smaller than my keggle but it works fine. What was your issue with the burner being smaller?

The bottom of the keggle was rounded and the burner did not go beyond the edges of the keggle so it would wobble on the burner.

Back