Quantcast

What Burner Should I buy?

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

IBENAK

Well-Known Member
Joined
Apr 15, 2007
Messages
57
Reaction score
0
Location
Hillsboro, OR
Hi all,

I have a 15Gal SS pot and the current burner I have(I believe a 55k) seems to struggle for air when I have in on the burner. I think I need a bigger burner. If so can anyone give their opinion as to which one I should buy? Looking forward to your responses. Also I would like to know if the one I have will work if I modify it and how to do so. I have already adjusted the air inlet and this makes no difference.
 

Fingers

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jan 24, 2007
Messages
4,178
Reaction score
48
Location
Lac du Bonnet
You need the great granddaddy of burners. The Bayou Classic Banjo Burner. The new KAB5 has a 20 psi regulator as opposed to the 30 psi the old KAB4 had. I have the KAB5 and it will lick flames out the side of my 24" diameter pots, so more pressure is pointless.
 

Fingers

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jan 24, 2007
Messages
4,178
Reaction score
48
Location
Lac du Bonnet
Well, I've never taken out the stopwatch, but from about 42º F to boiling is about half an hour. Less if you're boiling wort that is already hot from the sparge. Surprisingly, I get quite a few brews out of a tank. I keep the flame just inside the outer edge of the pot to optimize heat and minimize propane. Again, I can't give hard numbers because the tank does double duty on the barbecue, but I'd estimate that I can get 4 - 6 brews out of a tank. That's ten gallon batches.
 

ScubaSteve

Well-Known Member
Joined
May 21, 2007
Messages
3,673
Reaction score
90
Unless you're constantly doing 10 gallon batches, the banjo will be overkill. I've got 2 in my rig and I rarely go above 50%. You can get the regular burners from morebeer and use a hi pressure reg, like ~20 psi, and you'll be set. Lots less $$$, and way less headache with mounting the burner.
 

kenche

Well-Known Member
Joined
Apr 20, 2007
Messages
307
Reaction score
2
Location
Vancouver, B.C.
I recently bought the KAB5 and just completed my first batch with it. So far, I am extremely pleased; Mind you I do 11 gallon batches.

It is a bit overkill, but I only have it on full blast while trying to get to a boil. It has a pretty fine tuned adjuster, so you can control the flame level quite nicely.

If you are planning to do 10 gallon batches, then go for it. For 5 gallon batches it is overkill.

My only real complaint is that the nice black paint burns away upon the first use. I don't understand why they couldn't have used BBQ paint....
 

BrooZer

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jan 5, 2007
Messages
340
Reaction score
0
kenche said:
I recently bought the KAB5 and just completed my first batch with it. So far, I am extremely pleased; Mind you I do 11 gallon batches.

It is a bit overkill, but I only have it on full blast while trying to get to a boil. It has a pretty fine tuned adjuster, so you can control the flame level quite nicely.

If you are planning to do 10 gallon batches, then go for it. For 5 gallon batches it is overkill.

My only real complaint is that the nice black paint burns away upon the first use. I don't understand why they couldn't have used BBQ paint....
What?? I just ordered the KAB5 and I do 5 gal batches. How can it be overkill if the flame can be adjusted?
 

Fingers

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jan 24, 2007
Messages
4,178
Reaction score
48
Location
Lac du Bonnet
BrooZer said:
What?? I just ordered the KAB5 and I do 5 gal batches. How can it be overkill if the flame can be adjusted?
Exactly. If you NEVER do 10 gallon batches, it might be overkill because you'll never use the capacity, but if you occasionally do, or plan to one day, the Banjo will do both whereas the smaller burner won't.

I guess it's a matter of how tight your money is. You may save a few dollars now, but if you go larger later then you'll have to buy another.
 

BrooZer

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jan 5, 2007
Messages
340
Reaction score
0
Fingers said:
Exactly. If you NEVER do 10 gallon batches, it might be overkill because you'll never use the capacity, but if you occasionally do, or plan to one day, the Banjo will do both whereas the smaller burner won't.

I guess it's a matter of how tight your money is. You may save a few dollars now, but if you go larger later then you'll have to buy another.
I plan on making a keggle one day so thats what tipped me toward it.

Also, I found this link that compares different burners.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=49244
 

ScubaSteve

Well-Known Member
Joined
May 21, 2007
Messages
3,673
Reaction score
90
Don't get me wrong, it's a great burner. I just had difficulty with it from a design standpoint when trying to insert the burner into my rig. They work great, I'm just sayin' I coulda got a $15 burner from agrisupply that would have been more efficient and easier to mount. True, if it's never used to capacity, then how can it be overkill....but you may find that it can become dangerous if you crank it up. Cherry red metal and flames licking up the sides of your keg/ball valve spell trouble. If I could do it all over, I'd get that bayou classic collapsible 2 tier setup that includes the banjo.....but I DO like my rig.
 

Lil' Sparky

Cowboys EAC
Joined
Feb 6, 2006
Messages
3,952
Reaction score
91
Location
Honolulu, HI
The smaller burners work fine for 10 gal batches - even moreso with a 20 psi regulator. I've been using them on my 10 gal brew stand for a long time and they rarely get turned all the way up (and I have a 10 psi reg).

If you're having problems, maybe your regulator is acting up.
 

kenche

Well-Known Member
Joined
Apr 20, 2007
Messages
307
Reaction score
2
Location
Vancouver, B.C.
ScubaSteve said:
True, if it's never used to capacity, then how can it be overkill....
Actually, that is kind of how I define overkill. If it is never going to be used to it's full capacity, then it is 'too much'.

However, as said I think that it is a great burner and is certainly functional for 5 gallon batches. The fact that the OP plans to one day do 10 gallon batches nakes it a good purchase.
 
OP
I

IBENAK

Well-Known Member
Joined
Apr 15, 2007
Messages
57
Reaction score
0
Location
Hillsboro, OR
Thanks for all the responses. I do primarily do 5 gal batches, but I have done 10gal batches also. I would say that my main focus is 5 gal batches because if I make 10 gals of beer it better be something I enjoy, not an experiment. How much are the grand daddy's?

Sorry it took so long for a response I have been working a S#$t load of overtime at work $$$$$$ :)
 
Top