What Burner has the highest BTU output

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MeadMax

Reaction score
I am looking to buy a new Burner and want to know what is the best burner on the market with the highest BTU out there.
Nothing like a super fast boil!!!

Any help would be appreciated.

Well one big factor is if your using propane or natural gas. If your using propane are you using high or low pressure. I believe high pressure propane offers the highest btu output.

the highest BTU is not always the best, how efficient is the burner in heating up your kettle? you don't want your costly fuel heating up the air around the kettle in addition to the contents of the kettle.

The 19" 88 tip jet burner has the highest BTU output of any burner that I've seen, but unless you're running a 3bbl system it wouldn't make any sense to use for brewing.

Besides coming to a boil fast, what are you looking for in a burner? Are you looking for just a burner to mount in a brew sculpture, or something with a stand incorporated? Do you want to option to be able to convert to natural gas? Will you ever want to automate the burner? What size batches will you be brewing?

I think the 10" banjo/hurricane/BG-14 style burner is one of the better options out there. They can put out over 200k btu (more than a homebrewer should ever need), are easily adjustable even at low flame levels, run very quiet, are relatively efficient, and can be run on low pressure propane, high pressure propane, or natural gas.

The best BTU for your buck is probably the SP-10/BG-10 style burner, but it's loud, less efficient than some others, and can only be run on high pressure propane.

The highest BTU output depends more on your regulator than your burner.

If you have a 10psi regulator on a 23 tip wok burner you'll get around 55-80k btu's if I recall

If you have a 30psi regulator then you can get close to the advertised 200k btu.

ok, thanks.

WHat is the best floor burner then for making beer?

That's subjective, so you'll get a lot of different opinions, and it also depends on your use and things like the size/style of boil kettle you have. We might be able to help you find the right burner for your situation of you answered some of the questions asked. Also, do you have a boil kettle yet, and if so what size is it?

Here's a couple that are very nice IMO. They're both based on the 10" banjo/hurricane casting, which can easily be converted to low pressure or natural gas-

http://bayouclassicdepot.com/kab6-kick-a-banjo-burner-plus.htm

http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/blichmann-floor-burner.html

Back