What brews are good for room temperature fermentation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

solbergg

Reaction score
The only temperature controlled environment I have right now is my house, which stays around 72 degrees. Any brews good for that temperature during fermentation?

Only thing that comes to my mind is weizens and some belgians.

Check out White Labs yeast library and look for yeasts that will ferment that high and make a decision from that.

One that is surprising to me is WLP023 Burton Ale Yeast. You could maybe make some good bitters and IPA's with that. I have to say that I have my doubts, but they say it can be done, so maybe it can.

I'm in the same boat, and I had pretty good luck with just the Cincinnatti Pale Ale from HowToBrew, using Safbrew S-33. I haven't noticed any horrible off flavors.

Given that the wife won't let me turn down the heat in the house, I'm going to attempt the wet T-shirt method for my next batch (a porter, which might be more persnickity).

Get a rope handled tub and put your primary in there with some water. A t-shirt over the carboy will wick water and cool through evaporation, and/or you can throw ice in there occasionally.

The link I have is kind of expensive. Saw them at my local Ace for $5 and they're usually at Walmart for $8.

Take the rope handles off right away. If they're full of water and you lift by them they'll pull out mid lift--not good.

Get two or three. They're great for soaking bottles in Oxyclean, sanitizing bottles, sanitizing brewing gear, etc.

If your not too picky about the style and taste of the finished product, virtually any ale brewed at room temperature will be drinkable and most times extremely drinkable.

If you are aiming for a particular style and taste of beer however, you will need some form of temperature control.

Hedghog

For the record, I do all my fermentation in my bedroom. It usually stays around 65-70˚, so it's kind of perfect for my purposes. I've made some excellent beers in that temp range, IPA's, bitters, blondes, stouts, porters, ambers, and apfelwein. I stuck a belgian wit by a heater to warm it to around 75˚F. Just how warm is your room-temp, solbergg?

PseudoChef said:
No, that's much too high for a Steam Beer. 65° F is the high range for a Steam.

I'm going to have to agree with you there. Lager strains start doing some really funky things above 65˚F. Even for a cali common...

Well, I went to my local homebrew store and bought all the equipment I need, as well as a brown ale kit that is meant for room temperature fermenting. So far so good, as the mix started fermenting within 3 hours. I put it in my room, like you suggested, mrkristofo. I checked the temperature this morning (I have a tape on thermometer attached to the bucket) and it said 68!

solbergg said:
The only temperature controlled environment I have right now is my house, which stays around 72 degrees. Any brews good for that temperature during fermentation?

Place a thermometer at floor level, I am willing to bet you find it atleast 3-4 degrees cooler.

Back