What breweries to visit in Asheville

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beer-lord

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
A few of us from different parts of the country are meeting in Asheville Super Bowl weekend and I've set up a tour of Wicked Weed Funkatorium and Sierra Nevada. However, we know there is an almost unlimited amount of great beer there and I'd like some opinions on what places we should not miss.

I don't think we need any more tours but with all the great breweries, we can't see them all so if any of you have been and would go back again, who would you visit and why?

I visited back in October. Wicked Weed was the standout, but I liked Hi-Wire quite a bit as well. They're less experimental than WW, but had a solid lineup. Asheville Brewing was decent, and had good pizza. I saw Green Man recommended pretty highly, but I wasn't all that impressed by what I tried from them. (Full disclosure: I had drank quite a bit by the time we got there, so a combination of palate fatigue and being flat-out drunk was probably to blame).

Burial is really close to Wicked Weed, a great place if you like Belgians and farmhouse beers. I haven't been inside the actual brewery, but I enjoy all of their beers. Also nearby, Green Man is a popular spot. Across from that is Catawba. They both brew mainly clean beers, but I appreciate their growing barrel program as they experiment more with barrel aging and sour beers. Catawba sometimes hosts bands that play around the week and they serve food if I'm not mistaken, I really enjoy the atmosphere. All great places.

Go to Wedge by the tracks/river. Go at night, eat Kimchi from the food truck, and hang out with the hipsters by the bonfire. Good times. Then walk back, druck off yer azz, and get lost. Attempt to hitchhike (more for directions than the actual ride), be unsuccessful, and end up at another brewery. Wake up the next morning and don't remember how you got back to the BnB house you're renting.

Not that I did this, but it sounds like a fun evening ;)

Oh yea, Wicked Weed is awesome. Make sure to get a black tshirt from there - very nice.

There's a pretty cool brewery tour on a party bus that has a huge smile on the front of it. This bus will take you to a few of the breweries that are outside town (eg., Pigsah). It was a lot of fun, we drank on the bus, there was a popcorn maker on the bus, and it was mostly young coeds on there. Worth it I thought.

A few of us from different parts of the country are meeting in Asheville Super Bowl weekend and I've set up a tour of Wicked Weed Funkatorium and Sierra Nevada. However, we know there is an almost unlimited amount of great beer there and I'd like some opinions on what places we should not miss.

I don't think we need any more tours but with all the great breweries, we can't see them all so if any of you have been and would go back again, who would you visit and why?

French Broad Brewery, Fairview Rd. Try their Wee Heavy-Er. Best WH I've ever had.

Wicked Weed
Greenman
Not a fan of (Catawba) mainly because its a session only place
Burial-newer and very cool place. Really cool beer garden.
Cant remember the name but Brewry right across the street from Funkatorium is pretty good too.

Can't really go wrong in Ashville :mug:

@Beer-lord if I don't pick you up at the airport, you might not make it there. :p
@passedpawn might have to give your suggestion a try, sounds like fun.

I'm sure you'll have a great time. 4 friends and I flew up there just for the beercation. We've talked about going back, so that should tell you something.

That's pretty much our story. Guys from 5 states meeting somewhere, renting an uber nice house and enjoying beers and nerdy beer talk. Some are bringing wives and that should keep the farting down to a tolerable level. :tank:

Wicked Weed..if I could only go to one the whole weekend it wouldn't even be a hard decision. I live an hour away and I drive down there occasionally just to go to Wicked Weed.

Lexington Avenue Brewing.. Good food, good beer, good atmosphere.

Green Man

Sierra Nevada

You've got a good start with Wicked Weed and SN. I'd also recommend The Wedge and Twin Leaf. Have fun!

also, if you are into coffee and sweets, the French Broad chocolate lounge has what is hands-down the best straight up black french pressed coffee ive ever had. They are famous for these "liquid truffle" things. its like a espresso mug sized thing, and girls wait in lines out the door for them

You're going to Wicked Weed. That's all that matters haha.

Disagree completely. While WW is awesome and NOT to be missed, the line to get in just to get a beer was outside and long. Waiting for dinner, the same. Going downstairs was fine, we were plastered against the wall due to the crowd. Got a beer and left. I feel like you kind of have to go knowing it will be crowded, you'd want to get there very early to really enjoy yourself and be able to sit for a while. I wen to Funkatorium and had more beers and a better time. I also got there early.

Burial for sure. Also, hit up the Jazz brunch. Closed that place down.
Twin Leaf on your way to the Funkaorium.
Go past Asheville and see the wonder that is Sierra Nevada and then hit up Oskar Blues. Brewery only stuff is there often if not always.
Hit up Thirsty Monk...don't get drunk and drink from the cooler. It'll cost you. ;)
Green Man is fine, I didn't care for their standard offerings.
The Wedge was fun to hang, but I couldn't find a beer I loved.

Additional places:
Catawba brewing, Hi-wire and Highland are places to hit if you have time. I'd do those three over Green Man and Wedge. Green Man would be great if they were doing a sour release but they lost the guy who I think is their sour brewer and I am not sure what will come of their sours.

Lexington Ave had some pretty good beer years back, they sort of went down a little but their food was great. They're getting better with the beer again.

Disagree completely. While WW is awesome and NOT to be missed, the line to get in just to get a beer was outside and long. Waiting for dinner, the same. Going downstairs was fine, we were plastered against the wall due to the crowd. Got a beer and left. I feel like you kind of have to go knowing it will be crowded, you'd want to get there very early to really enjoy yourself and be able to sit for a while. I wen to Funkatorium and had more beers and a better time. I also got there early.

Burial for sure. Also, hit up the Jazz brunch. Closed that place down.
Twin Leaf on your way to the Funkaorium.
Go past Asheville and see the wonder that is Sierra Nevada and then hit up Oskar Blues. Brewery only stuff is there often if not always.
Hit up Thirsty Monk...don't get drunk and drink from the cooler. It'll cost you. ;)
Green Man is fine, I didn't care for their standard offerings.
The Wedge was fun to hang, but I couldn't find a beer I loved.

Additional places:
Catawba brewing, Hi-wire and Highland are places to hit if you have time. I'd do those three over Green Man and Wedge. Green Man would be great if they were doing a sour release but they lost the guy who I think is their sour brewer and I am not sure what will come of their sours.

Lexington Ave had some pretty good beer years back, they sort of went down a little but their food was great. They're getting better with the beer again.

We got lucky that the weather was still decent enough that we were able to get some beers and grab a spot on the patio at WW. Don't know how it would be this time of year if everyone gravitates inside. Maybe going during the week would cut down on the lines?

Lexington Ave. was ok. The food looked good, but we had already eaten (Packs Tavern BTW, which seemed to have a good selection of local/regional beers). SWMBO enjoyed her beers more than I liked mine.

I'm not sure how we passed Twin Leaf? We were all over that area and somehow missed/ignored it. :(

My wife and I were there in October and found this place. It was at the end of an alley and down a set of stairs. I'm not sure of the name but it was fantastic. When we walked in this is what we saw
View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1452901974.842894.jpg
View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1452902036.808679.jpgView attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1452902050.548739.jpg
View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1452902077.445507.jpg
View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1452902093.384629.jpg
When they run out of a selection, you're out of luck.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByHome Brew1452901600.143553.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 53
  • ImageUploadedByHome Brew1452901620.286031.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 53
  • ImageUploadedByHome Brew1452901635.029049.jpg
    100.9 KB · Views: 51
  • ImageUploadedByHome Brew1452901648.358583.jpg
    100.6 KB · Views: 48
  • ImageUploadedByHome Brew1452901659.457227.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 48
I believe that Asheville is the beer Mecca of the southeast. We stayed at a hole in the wall micro hotel and they served local craft beer at the bar. My wife, who is a bud select 55 drinker, had a hard time finding a drink. One bartender told her he could get close if he went to the spigot in the kitchen.

ally/basement is one world. Interesting place.

If you are going to Sierva Nevada make the trek to Oskar blues and brevard. Bit out of the way but recommend trying highland.

In november we hit 22 in western NC but ran out of time to hit them all!

Great food and beer in Asheville. Mellow mushroom is always a staple for me, not a brewery but good people.

Back