What brand of grain?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wortlover

Reaction score
:mug:I'm heading up to North Country Malt Supply on Fri. I plan on picking up a bag of pale and a one of vienna. They stock six different brands listed below. Any preferences of brands? They will be used for Centennial blonde, Kolsch and a dunkel.

Gambrinus, Franco-Belges, Thomas Fawcett, Canada Malting, Best Malz, Bairds

Canada Malting for the Pale is the cheapest and works great.

Best Malz is from Germany and is what I use for Vienna.

You could get a bag of Best Malz Pilsener instead of Pale since your beers seem to be on the German persuasion.

Well, being the impatient person I am, I went ahead and just ordered one bag of Bairds Vienna(no Best Malz in stock), and one bag of Best Malz Pils, grand total of $73.27 for 110# of grain.:ban:

Best of all, I have a relative that will pick it up for me for free. .67 cents/pound ain't too shabby.

BestMalz is what I use mostly for Pils, Munich and Vienna. Love the stuff. It doesn't seem to convert very fast though, the Pils that is. I have gone around 90 minutes when mashing low. But the final product is always really good. It also seems to have a very high protein content. Oh btw, if you can when you pick it up, if you wouldn't mind would you be able to get the analysis sheet and post the specs for the Pils?

That's a great price as most imported malts are going for over $2 a pound now at LHBS and the online stores as well. Enjoy making some great beer with that stuff!

I've ordered BestMalz Pilsen and the Thomas Fawcett Marris Otter from them and was very happy. Definitely get the malt analysis. They shipped them with my order without me even asking. If you need help interpreting it or figuring out your best mash schedule, PM me.

In my Pilsen malt, the Total Protein content was just right... 10.9%. Anything under 10% can result in a light-bodied, low-head beer. Anything over 12% can result in problems in clarity (haze). The Soluble Nitrogen (Protein) Ratio was on the higher end, but not too high... 41.4%... well modified and perfect for infusion mashing, although I've used a high-temp protein rest single decoction with great results.

Those of you who get to take advantage of North Country just plain suck!

For me, shipping from NCM equals the "overpriced" value of sacks on the HBS shelves.

Latest posts

Back