what bjcp category do you think this is

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

squeekysheep

Reaction score
1lb Crystal 40L
1lb Crystal 60L
1lb crystal 20L
1/2lb melodine malt
6 lb vinna malt
4 1/2 lb maris otter

hops

1 oz galena 13% @ 60min
1 oz spalt 2.6% @ 20 min

yeast notty

I get about 77% efficiency I will take any suggestions on hop/malt balance i have not done any calculations but i know I want a malty beer around 7-8 % i might add some sugar if i don't like the abv range.

Mostly i need to know what bjcp category i should put this in.

I don't see that fitting into a category. I'm no expert, maybe someone else has a better idea, but you are using a ton of crystal in that beer. Maybe an imperial brown? Is this for a 5 gal batch?

BJCP competitions are about your ability to brew to style, not creativity. So making a beer and trying to fit it into a category is sort of a waste of time.

Not just that, this would be way over hopped (~45ish), too dark (no crystal malts in most trippels), too malty (most belgians are made primarily with super light pilsen or pale malts) not vienna or toastier english malts.

This doesn't fit into any kind of style, but would be like an imperial british pale ale

if it's somthing as simple as a yeast i can change that. if not i can just brew this on friday and not enter it and do a Berliner Weiss to enter.

With that much crystal, this beer is gonna be bad. Try not to go over 15% crystal malt in a recipe. You will be stuck with alot of unfermentables.

...except in American Amber. That's where crystal malts come out and play.

OP's recipe reads kinda like a paler version of Red Rocket.

won't be the first bad beer i have made in the quest to learn. if it does turn out good i have 2 cases of beer to make brats

won't be the first bad beer i have made in the quest to learn. if it does turn out good i have 2 cases of beer to make brats

I found out the hard way too. I love designing recipes. But I've learned to scale back my crystal malt from my early recipes if wanted balance.

Not to mention, why would the you ask the question if you're going to make it anyway? Isn't the beauty of this forum that you might not have to learn the hard way on certain things?

(Directed at the OP of course)

I still have not decided what I am I going to do I have all the grains separated. Tho even if I brew it with the advice to scale back crystal before bottling I can taste it bottle 1 gallon and blend it with another beer. I will gladly take any advice from the great brewers here.

thanks for the advise

1lb Crystal 40L
1lb Crystal 60L
1lb crystal 20L
1/2lb melodine malt
6 lb vinna malt
4 1/2 lb maris otter

hops

1 oz galena 13% @ 60min
1 oz spalt 2.6% @ 20 min

yeast notty

I get about 77% efficiency I will take any suggestions on hop/malt balance i have not done any calculations but i know I want a malty beer around 7-8 % i might add some sugar if i don't like the abv range.

Mostly i need to know what bjcp category i should put this in.

Have you made this? I would think it would not be super good given you have 21% of your grist as crystal malts.... would probably be too sweet and you might not get a very nice beer that anyone would want to drink. Plus the beer farts from all those dextrins.... I mean, dude, there is a clear line between being proud of a nice fart, and "oh my god please kill me I can't stop farting my ass hurts".

Anyway, its your beer and maybe you want to try it - no harm done experimentation is what its all about.

Latest posts

Back