What beer style for 100+ weather?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

garcia

Reaction score
Deep South Texas, it gets HOT!!!!

Anyways, do you all modify your beer style for summers?

RIS? Dang! Y'all are crazy!

Maybe I'll just make a pale bock. Not sure of doppelbock is going to cut it. :-/

first, you spelled "y'all" wrong. second, Summer is RIS season! nothing like a nice 55F RIS on a 100+F summer day!

Obviously, it's pumpkin ale season. It's always pumpkin ale season now, apparently.

On a more serious note, maybe a kolsch or a heffe? Something light and refreshing... maybe a Cream of Three Crops Ale?

I agree about saisons. But this winter I accidently stumbled on a "holiday" beer style that after making my own I realized makes a great summer lawnmower beer. I picked up some New Belgian Accumulation Holiday White Ipa. Basically it's a witbier but with the IBUs of an IPA. You get the crisp, lightness of a wit with the hopbite of your favorite hops. In my case since I really liked t NB's version, I stuck with their hops (Target, Centennial, dry hopped with Mosaic and Amarillo) then shifted my house wit recipe to fit the OG (1058) and the abv of their beer, and then tweaked the hop scheduling til I got the 70ibus.

The beer was so smooth that I kicked the keg in like 2-3 weeks. And I brewed another batch right away.

5 lbs Pilsner (2 Row)
2 lbs Wheat, Flaked=
2 lbs White Wheat Malt =
1 lbs Oats, Flaked =
0.5 oz Target [11.0%] - First Wort
0.3 oz Centennial [10.0%] - First Wort
9.0 oz Cane (Beet) Sugar =
0.5 oz Centennial [10.0%] - Boil 60 min
0.5 oz Target [11.0%] - Boil 60 min
0.3 oz Centennial [10.0%] - Boil 30 min
0.3 oz Target [11.0%] - Boil 30 min
0.3 oz Centennial [10.0%] - Boil 5 min
0.3 oz Target [11.0%] - Boil 5 min
1 pkgs Belgian Ale (White Labs #WLP550) Yeast
1.0 oz Amarillo Gold [8.5%] - Dry Hop 7 days
1.0 oz Mosaic -Dry Hop 7 days

Now I don't know why the call theirs a holiday beer, but oh well it's tasty, light and refreshing, and the hops are pretty grapefruity and overall it makes for a crisp beer.

Bud Light Lime.

Oh, you said BEER! Sorry.

I like witbiers and saisons, light wheat beers, blondes, and even IPAs depending on what I'm doing.

Lemon - Lime Hef

Seen the recipe on here, that will be an upcoming brew once you send some of that warmth up to ND!

Apparently it can snow in april here

seriously. I like RIS. Bocks, Dopple Bocks, Altbier. Gueze. Lambics. IPA. APA. EPA. AIPA. Gose. Pilsners. Robust Porters. Pumpkin Ales. Sweet Stouts.....

if it's a season, I like those beers.

Saison, pilsner, pale ale, hefeweizen, anything light on flavor and low on ABV.

But if I'm doing a lot of work, a nice chewy sweet stout. It's like a meal in a bottle.

Back