What beer style do you not like and why?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grrickar

Reaction score
For me it would be Brown Ales. Maybe I have not had a decent one, but it is my least favorite of all of the styles. All of those I have tried have been sweet, and I am more a fan of bitter than sweet. If a beer is sweet, it needs enough hops to bitter it out and balance it IMO.

I'm with you, most browns and reds, they taste like a another style watered down. Occasionally some are good, but others taste like bad instant coffee, pennies, imitation syrup, etc. A lot of the decent ones I'd say are a style above or below what they are supposed to be, e.g. it's really a brown porter or an amber ale, or like new castle is a weird style in that it's two blended beers that makes it interesting. Flanders reds and browns are good though. Stuff like Moose Drool or Short's Bellaire Brown I don't like.

Milk stouts, Sours, Gose.

Milk stouts... sour milk.

Sours... ruined beer... Worcestershire sauce and ketchup and rotten flesh and hints of mold.

Gose... thick, salty, disgusting. Ask one of your girl friends what it reminds them of.

Never had Gose, and with that description I may never try it LOL.

I like framboise, kreiks and lambics - are those considered sours? If so I like those, if not - perhaps I haven't tried those either...

Hefeweisens are a style I don't enjoy much, it can be a very well made example and I can appreciate it, but that's different than enjoying it. In October, at a competition, I was assigned to judge the category and it worked out pretty well, I was able to be objective in evaluating the beer regardless of my hedonistic impressions, because I didn't really enjoy any of them ;)

Pilsners usually. I'll drink them to try them but I find them oddly skunky.

Sometimes lagers for similar reasons.

Also, Gose beer, not quite similar to what was being described above. :D Just sayin'.

Irish stout... it's a style i WANT to enjoy... i just cannot. it's hard to explain, but i enjoy my balanced stouts (more american style), that one is just too one way for me.

I don't like most Belgians, Wheat beers, or most lagers. I also don't like sours. Give me an English or American ale please.

Smoked beers are the only style I really don't like. I love smoked food, and have 6 different varieties of wood at home for my smoker, but smoked beer, gross. Spicy beer too, but I keep a bottle of sriracha on my desk at work. I really don't like drinking spicy or smokey things.

Smoked beers are the only style I really don't like. I love smoked food, and have 6 different varieties of wood at home for my smoker, but smoked beer, gross. Spicy beer too, but I keep a bottle of sriracha on my desk at work. I really don't like drinking spicy or smokey things.

I'm with you on that... I've tried quite a few smoked beers and all have been either very mediocre (little to no smoke flavor) or very bad (lots of smoke).

Think I just like smoke on my food and beer flavor in my beer... same goes for chili beers... haven't had one I enjoyed but can't get enough capsaicin in my food.

@Hello That is fascinating, but I can see that - sometimes it may not be skunking of the hops (unless its a Pilsner Urquell that's been left out in the sun) but a similar sort of flavor component, a sulfer-ish undertone that is derived from many pilsner yeasts. Do you get the same flavor when you drink an American-ized version of a pilsner, like Lagunitas Pils? Do you have the same reaction?

A few months ago, I had my first Czechvar, a Czech pilsner that AB-Inbev sued into submission when it was calling itself Budvar. What a nice pilsner - went to the top of my list. But it had a definite yeast-derived sulfur component.

I have no love for brown ales. I tried 6 times to put together a recipe I could enjoy. It seemed liked a good idea (challenge) to make a brown ale I would want to drink. I gave up. They just taste like nothing to me.
Not a fan of milk stout either. I think I ruined it for myself when I made a Left Hand clone and had to push my way thru 5 gallons of milk stout. I should have dumped it.

That's about it.

Light American lagers for me. I just don't find them very interesting. I've never had a home brewed/craft version, so maybe those would be more interesting. Otherwise I can appreciate most styles, they all have a time and place to be enjoyed.

@Hello That is fascinating, but I can see that - sometimes it may not be skunking of the hops (unless its a Pilsner Urquell that's been left out in the sun) but a similar sort of flavor component, a sulfer-ish undertone that is derived from many pilsner yeasts. Do you get the same flavor when you drink an American-ized version of a pilsner, like Lagunitas Pils? Do you have the same reaction?

A few months ago, I had my first Czechvar, a Czech pilsner that AB-Inbev sued into submission when it was calling itself Budvar. What a nice pilsner - went to the top of my list. But it had a definite yeast-derived sulfur component.

I want to say that most experience was with American pilsners. My description may be off, but it's kind of the best way I can describe that. I definitely keep trying them to try and find one I like and use that as a baseline. I've never tried Lagunitas' Pilsner, that may be one to seek out.

IPA's I realize I am in the minority here but just don't get the appeal. I will say most of them smell good but don't see what others see in them.

Same here, I dont care too much for IPA's. Some are fine and others are way way too bitter. If I am buying a beer in the store, I will often pass over the IPAs unless it is something I have had and enjoyed before.

Light lagers and diseases are the only free things I ever decline.

Mainly heavy-on-the-lactose beers. Followed by nut browns that are too sweet, followed by English style beers like bitters (I drink because I love craft beer and never turn down a good buzz). English-style beers that come in around 3% won't do it for me.

Wow, my least favorite categories are pretty inline with others- not huge on Browns, Reds, Wheats, American Lagers.

Outside of that, I love all the styles.

Sours - no thanks -
Overly powered hop bombs
Overly smoked beers too

I really don't like Hefe's. I have also tried to like belgian beers..... but I just don't. I don't like many "specialty" beers (fruit, pumpkin, weird additions, etc.) But, pretty much everything else I like or can appreciate.

Pilsners usually. I'll drink them to try them but I find them oddly skunky.

Sometimes lagers for similar reasons.

Also, Gose beer, not quite similar to what was being described above. :D Just sayin'.

I'm with you, Pilsners are the one style of beer I just can't find enjoyable and I will pretty much eat/drink anything once...it's just terrible!

Smoked beers.... I love BBQ... I love cooking with wood/smoke... I hate having that taste in beer...

Sour beers...... I LOVE sour candy.. the more sour the better.... but again, I don't want that in a beer... I keep trying them and hating most but the simple like Berliner Weiss....

Belgians. Although I will admit some are masterful at hiding alcohol, they all just seem bleh to me

Saisons- there's something about the spicey flavors saison yeast strains give that I just don't like.

Sours- I really want to like sours, but just haven't found one yet that I can stand to drink more than a few sips.

Fruit/vegetable/spiced beers. If I want to taste beer and pumpkin pie together, I would rather just have a non-pumpkin beer along with a slice of pumpkin pie than be stuck with an entire batch of pumpkin beer.

Sours. I love the idea of sours and think that the biochemistry involved is really neat. I think it's great that other people love to explore them, but no matter how hard I try I can't make myself like them.

I do enjoy most styles "once in a while". However, there's only a handful of styles I really enjoy drinking on a daily basis, such as helles, marzen, dunkel, ESB, kolsch, alt, bopils, etc. Those are the ones I end up brewing most often.

Smoked beers, sour beers, like farmhouse ale or brown ales. That sounds like a lot of dislikes but those are all relatively uncommon.

Helles and Pils just bore me stiff. I was travelling through Bavaria and one of the highlights was to get a bottle of St Austell's in the supermarket. Not all breweries and pubs had dunkles in summer.

Fruit beers are not my favorite. I can enjoy a well made one (I don't think most are well made). I hate blueberry beers with a passion. And I'm also not wild about spice/vegetable beers. Again, a well made one is fine. But I hate pumpkin beer with an even bigger passion. And then once again while I can appreciate a good one from time to time, I'm not wild about American IPAs.

Beyond that, I'll drink anything.

Sours and IPA(s). Not a fan of cherry and especially sour cherry. IPA(s) are too hoppy/bitter for me.

Love complex stouts, porters, browns, alts.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I dislike all sours except flanders reds, kriek, and framboise. Sweaty horse blanket does not sound or taste delicious to me.

Back