What are you getting for Christmas (Beer related)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got one of these in transit:

refractometer.jpg

Keg Glove and Designing Great Beers...

... plus enough cash for a Barley Crusher and a sack of grain!!!

My wife and I tend to shop for ourselves for Christmas. It started almost as a joke years ago and now it is just what we do. I did my shopping this week.

(I got exactly what I wanted!! Yay!)

Bayou Classic SP10
Brew Like a Monk
1 55 # domestic 2 - row
1 55# Belgian Pils

plus to round it out I went to the beer store and bought the following:

6 each
Chimay Red
Chimay Blue
Chimay Triple
SN Celebration
Duvel Golden
Corsendonk Abbey Brown

This is the first commercial beer I have purchased in 6 months.

You should try some Belgian beer. You might like it!:mug:

I was speculating before, so here's the actual tally:

Guinness Pint Glasses
Add More Hops Shirt
BYO subscription
Brewing Classic Styles
Brew Like A Monk
Northern Brewer Gift Cert.
Barley Crusher

Very good year.

I got a couple gift cert's to my LHBS. Now that the Holiday's are almost over I can focus once again on brewing. :D

Family got me a ton of Kegworks and northern Brewer gift certificates and my wife, who is the coolest person on the freakin' planet, got us a room at the Munich Meridien and airfare for freakin' Ocktoberfest in 2009.

I woke up x-mas mourn and got a bottle tree and a $50.00 to LBS
hell yeah my gal is the best!
oh yea another good gift was hearing the sound of the Haus Pale Ale fermenting away. Ahh it was a good X-mas:ban:

You should try some Belgian beer. You might like it!:mug:

He heh! I sampled one of each of the all six (the 5 Belgians, 1 SN Celebration, + 1 glass Apfelwein) today with my brother in law. Holy crap! I have a hangover and it is only 9:30. But it was some good drinking today.

I picked up the winnings from my Fantasy Football league this week so I am off to the LHBS for some miscellanea and quite possibly a 7th 6G BB tomorrow.

My first brewing Christmas. MIL got me a brewer's best Weizenbier kit. wife got me stuff for an Irish Stout and a bottle filler.

I got a good hual from the family today... My uncle and i are both brewers and he says it makes buying my christmas presents so much easier, my parents say the same thing. When i was 17 they started giving me a 2 pack of special yeast i used for my first two batches of the year instead of the bread yeat or champange yeast i could get at the local market... this year is it was a new type they found on the net,
its called"Super-18+" the pack says "Fast Starting, stable fermenting, clean tasting. For brews over 18%. High ABV brewers yeast" Which i am gonna try on a batch after the new year. I am skeptical about it sounds too good to be true, gonna look it up now.

Other then that, No new girl friend as i had hoped, or the renewal subscription to my socail life but i did get

7 gallon Glass carboy

2 gallon self firdge keg (get this, you use a 16 ounce CO2 which taps into the rear of the caste like structure and it has a pressure setting like an air compressor that you can set to your piticular brew, it also has a timer for time release of the gas so that you dont waste gas in the small clyinder, and also is self cooling. Get the tank filled and plug it in and bingo they say depending on pressure a tank last up to 3 months, you can also get it refilled at any paintball store and it works with all my old paint ball tanks, i have 3 20oz left from when i used to play that i never got rid of) (This is a home made gift by my cuzin who a rather smart guy)

Filter setup, put the filter cap on the carboy, turn upsidedown in the cradle and the liquid pressure forced the liquid out the tap with a double 5 micron sediment filter in it (from my uncle, home made and he made his own says it works great)

12 pack of winter white home brew (my uncle again)

and last but not least from my grandmother a 150 dallor gift card to LHBS... and 25 dallors to my favorite ingredant shop, which will come in handy later

im in heaven

Cheers

$50 gift Certificate for Northern Brewer
4 Pint glasses with Furnace Room Brewery etched on them
Bar Pitcher with same logo as the pint glasses
Black tap handle with same logo in color
Level 10 Beer Nerd Tshirt from NB.com
And the best present of all, my parents telling me they realize that I'm just really into the craft of breweing and the DIY of home bar and that I'm not an alcoholic!
It was a good beer christmas

I got a stirplate and a couple stirrers, a 2000 mL flask, foam stoppers, & a stout faucet + shank (which gives me SWMBO's permission to buy the beer gas regulator and tank myself...).

I broke out my SP10 Burner today. Worked like a charm. Sounded like a jet engine until I figured out how to regulate the air intake. Brewed up a Golden Triple.

Now I'm kicking back with one of my X'Mas Chimay Tripels after a long brew day.

I got a really nice hand painted Pils glass, and a subscription to a beer mag.

Oh... And $50 worth of gift certs for my LHBS.

A march pump, a 2L Erlenmeyer flask and a water filter. Now I need to get started on the brew system.

SWMBO Claus was good to me:

2 books - "Brewing Classic Styles" and "Clone Brews".
Aquarium heater to help regulate fermentation temps.

-Tripod

My wife is berry berry good to me. I got my first keggle to start 10 gallon batches, a sub to BYO mag. I also got a drip try to my for my kegerator and a barley crusher..

i must have been very very very good because SWMBO got me a 2 keg setup. The parents seemingly went nuts and got me (in no particular order) a KAB4 banjo burner with 30 psi regulator, an immersion chiller, a 2L erlenmeyer flask and the $$ to get a 40qt kettle.

Here's what my NorthernBrewer Gift card and a little cash is getting me.
Basically Tap setup number 2 for the Keezer with a Perlick to match the other one on there and my first SMaSH Recipe. WooHoo.
I Was going to just finish the keezer and get faucet/tap setup number 3 as well, but wanted ingredients for beer instead. I'd rather have 2 faucets with 1 beer on tap than 3 faucets with 0 beers on tap! My pipeline is DRY! Better go with a 10 gallon Batch. 1st time.

Anyone see any reason why this recipe wouldn't be good.

20 lbs Marris Otter
1.75 oz Galena at 60 minutes
0.75 oz Galena at 5 minutes

Est. 1.057 OG
Est 42.6 IBU
Est ABV 5.48%

my wife told eveyone to not get me brewing related gifts.

I know, i know, get a new one you are saying.

To her credit the reason she said that is due to my highly cluttered basement full of brewing equipment. Not a room, the basement. Sooooo, i am cleaning that bad boy up for when the brithday comes around.

Thank goodness my parents know what I really want:

A perlick faucet

The oxygenator

100.00 gift card to home depot to further the completion of my grain mill hopper.

My folks got me a few brewing books (including Sam Calagione's Extreme Brewing book), a couple of sets of pint glasses. Also got a couple of Amex gift cards which will surely be used at my online HBSs.

In return, I took a few of my most recent beers to my family in Texas. Nothing like seeing your 98 year old grandmother take a very small, very slow sip of your first homebrew as if it were a chalice of wine at church (see: Blood of Christ). (she thinks my CA common is too strong! haha).

Also for Christmas, I decided to treat myself to the following:
-2 6 gal BB carboys
-2 2000ml flasks for starters
-Some extra floating thermometers
-Stoppers, airlocks, hoses, etc for new BBs
-Supplies for my next 4 brews

Next steps are making a kegerator fridge and hopefully moving to AG equipment (if I ever move out of Manhattan and get some more space).

Merry Christmas!

Chef Michael,

Manhattan restaurant? Which one? I was at Bouley's new place a few weeks back. La Grenouille a couple weeks before that. When I lived in manhattan there was no way I could ever accomplish brewing in my little postage stamp. I lived right off Union Square so I had some stellar restaurants within walking distance though.

I was Director of Marketing for David Bouley for a couple years back in the nineties.

Before that I sous'ed under Guy LeRoi at Ma Maison down in Atlanta.

Another life for me. Sorta. I just outfitted my kitchen with a new range and a Salamander for myself for X'Mas. It has re sparked my passion for the art over the past few weeks.

Since I did not get the chrome two tap tower for christmas I decided to buy it myself. Saw forrest at Austin Home brew had it on sale for 109.99.

Picked that up and a 2nd perlick faucet! actually talked my parents into buying it for my B-day in feb since the wife is anti brewing equipment until i clean the basement.

Chef Michael,

Manhattan restaurant? Which one? I was at Bouley's new place a few weeks back. La Grenouille a couple weeks before that. When I lived in manhattan there was no way I could ever accomplish brewing in my little postage stamp. I lived right off Union Square so I had some stellar restaurants within walking distance though.

I was Director of Marketing for David Bouley for a couple years back in the nineties.

Before that I sous'ed under Guy LeRoi at Ma Maison down in Atlanta.

Another life for me. Sorta. I just outfitted my kitchen with a new range and a Salamander for myself for X'Mas. It has re sparked my passion for the art over the past few weeks.

Hey Dontman: Unfortunately, I don't cook professionally anymore, I now work in finance. I used to cook professionally in Texas but never cooked up here. Obviously, I am very into food and restaurants as well and have been to Bouley's restaurants a couple of times...interestingly enough, one of my good friends work in the marketing dept for Daniel Boulud.

It is definitely tough to brew in my apartment here (in Gramercy), which is why I stick to only 4 batches at a time and mini-mash recipes. Luckily I have a roommate so we have a good amount of space in our living room where we store everything but its tight indeed.

I traded currency when I was in NYC. I didn't start brewing until I moved to my house in Princeton.

Nothing beer related. My wife drove my M3 to work today, got a flat, and drove three miles on the rim. Not quite priceless...$1,000.

I got nothing beer related, so I bought myself a kegging system. Now I just gotta start stocking extra kegs, which are nice and cheap here at the moment! Well, cheap by Australian standards, about $50USD... :( Still better than the approx $70USD they were going for! Time to treat myself! :D

Barley Crusher is on order from NB! :rockin:

And I'm picking up my 10 gal Igloo today from ACE Hardware!

Thank you Santy Claws... :mug:

We're celebrating Christmas with my parents on New Years Day, so I'm not sure what they got me (crossing my fingers for 2 new perlick faucets), but my mother-in-law got me the Kobalt portable co2 regulator and last night I ordered myself a 20oz paintball co2 tank.

Last night I also ordered some silicone tubing from us plastics and some quick disconnects from mcmaster-carr. Merry Christmas to me! Too bad they won't arrive in time for my brew session this Friday.

Back