What are you drinking now?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sonora is still a very nice place to be. My mom wants to move just outside Sonoma with a friend. Clear Lake has become a bit of a crack haven if I am remembering right. But, with that said, I am not completely sure.
Well, the school ratings are poor. Although only one data point, it's an indication of problems in the broader community.

@Bramling Cross I've posted a number of screenshots, here's tomorrow's weather comparison. Humidity makes the RealFeel warmer. It's getting worse here for sure. Last year was the worst summer ever. Many 105 ACTUAL temps with RealFeels well onto the 110s.

View attachment 850699View attachment 850700
I've done plenty of work at altitude in 100+ heat. Not pleasant, but doable. That said, we mostly tried to work in the morning and at night--at least, that was the plan.

The thing about humidity is there's no escaping it, even at sun up it's sticky and your sweat doesn't work. It's always there, always weighing on you.

The good thing about the desert is, at least it cools down when the sun goes down.

That's been my experience, for what it's worth.

(Meanwhile, down in Alabama, Rish is happily enjoying a full liter of quadruple barleywine while chuckling at us and wondering why it's been so damned cold lately) ;)

Never been…out of curiosity, how unsafe? Lock your car, your car may get stolen, or always drive in the left lane and don’t stop at red lights as it’s safer to get pulled over? Detroit for reference here

OT

View attachment 850703View attachment 850704
Never been to Detroit so no point of reference. The drug problem is out out of control and the homeless basically built tent cities on the sidewalks so you have to walk around them. Car break in's at the more popular "tourist" areas are very real as well. Never leave anything of value in your car or leave your window open to avoid having to pay to have a window replaced.

Phoenix is adapting! ⛳

https://www.troon.com/press-releases/night-golf-now-available-at-grass-clippings-at-rolling-hills/

OT, HB Dubbel
PXL_20240613_033254954.PORTRAIT.jpg

Last edited:
My fermenters are all full and I really, really, really need a keg to kick. But we all know how that goes, right?

I've singled out the APA that has been sucking yeast and gurgling for about two weeks, but will it do the decent thing and kick? No, of course not! I'm quite certain that it's still pouring just to spite me.
View attachment 850689

First world problems.

Time to invite all your friends over for a kill-the-keg event. Have them bring the pizza.

Seven or eight years ago we stopped by the brewery in Santa Rosa on one of our trips, so I had to drag a case of Pliny home on the East Coast to show off. It took six days of moderate driving of the motorhome to make it back due to frequent stops to re-provision for food. (Yes, I’m aware that ‘beer’ is technically ‘food’).

SWMBO'd was not happy that I commandeered so much precious refrigerator space, thus mandating the almost daily grocery shopping, but the box ‘demanded’ that the precious cargo be kept cold. Sacrifices had to be made to satisfy the edict of Vinnie, the demi-god of brewing.

Sadly, the entirety of the case was compromised. Not all bottles made it home intact. Periodic sampling of the collection enroute was required to ensure the safe and proper handling of the survivors.

I’m happy to report that several empty bottles survive to this day on my bar and in the Man Cave. Plus there’s this odd green beer box, the color of a pre-WW2 pack of Lucky Strikes, that refuses to be recycled.

Probably too freaked out by the idea of temperature swings.
Indeed. The beer fridge at home is precisely calibrated to 38F. I didn’t want any thermal shock, either in transit or upon arrival, to put the precious elixir at risk. Plus frequent grocery stops resulted in “chips and candy” opportunities. “Gedunk” in Navy parlance.

HB Cream Ale. Found two of these glasses at the Goodwill for $.99 each. I’d have had to turn in my homebrewer’s card if I hadn’t bought them. 😎 🍺

View attachment 850744

Not bragging if it’s true. I want that glass!

The beer in it looks pretty good, too!😉

HB Cream Ale. Found two of these glasses at the Goodwill for $.99 each. I’d have had to turn in my homebrewer’s card if I hadn’t bought them. 😎 🍺

View attachment 850744

I go by the same credo. If I see good barware at a garage sale or thrift store, I'm obligated to buy it.

This explains why I have boxes of glasses, many of which I'll never use.

Better to have too many than not enough.

@Bramling Cross I've posted a number of screenshots, here's tomorrow's weather comparison. Humidity makes the RealFeel warmer. It's getting worse here for sure. Last year was the worst summer ever. Many 105 ACTUAL temps with RealFeels well onto the 110s.
@ThirstyPawsHB Not to pick, you are definitely sounding like a Nebraskan! 😉 51% humidity ain’t 💩. 😉
I’ve got 64% and a nice sea breeze feels great. July and August that will be different, but the sea breeze really helps. NC is nice, if you can convince the your wife would you want to be near the coast or to the west?

I’m drinking filtered tap water. 🙁

Last edited:
@ThirstyPawsHB Not to pick, you are definitely sounding like a Nebraskan! 😉 51% humidity ain’t 💩. 😉
I’ve got 64% and a nice sea breeze feels great. July and August that will be different, but the sea breeze really helps. NC is nice, if you can convince the your wife would you want to be near the coast or to the west?

I’m drinking filtered tap water. 🙁
I would be partial to the West, Ashville, area. At least, I know someone there and looks like a nice outdoors place.

OT, work lunch Electrolyte concoction

I would be partial to the West, Ashville, area. At least, I know someone there and looks like a nice outdoors place.

OT, work lunch Electrolyte concoction
I’ll be visiting Asheville next year for the first time, every craft beer lover I know that’s stayed there loved it.
I’m drinking coffee.

“Bone Dust” from Bridger Brewing in Three Forks, MT. Not sure where they came up with the name; there’s nothing dry about it. Basically a Witbier, and not a bad one. A little spice, a little citrus, 5% and 25 IBU. A lawnmower beer with some flavor.
6828314E-33A9-4123-8D6D-32BD4BCF4C7B.jpeg

Finished sanding the deck. Painting may have to wait a few days as there is rain forecast tomorrow through Tues. Wed looks to be nice.

I hate refinishing decks with the burning passion of a thousand suns, but it won't get done by itself. I see Trex decking in my future.

Had a HB ESB and now a Two Hearted.

20240614_155039.jpg

Finished sanding the deck. Painting may have to wait a few days as there is rain forecast tomorrow through Tues. Wed looks to be nice.

I hate refinishing decks with the burning passion of a thousand suns, but it won't get done by itself. I see Trex decking in my future.

Had a HB ESB and now a Two Hearted.

View attachment 850795
Two thumbs up 👍👍 for the Trex. Redid ours five years ago with Trex, and haven’t looked back.

Also, two thumbs up for the Two Hearted 💕. Sadly I’m going low cal for a while till my waist line catches up with my belt.

Attachments

• IMG_2852.jpeg
    IMG_2852.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 3
Last edited by a moderator:
Back