What are you drinking now?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
IMG_2527.jpeg
HB Pilsner, “Beer Pressure”. Wife making Carnitas for dinner from the pulled pork I smoked yesterday. Yum

View attachment 850641

"Intrepida", a Golden Ale by Maso Alto

I thought I was too old to fall in love head over heels, but here I am. In Italy, of all places: a country I had almost written off in terms of beer, hypothesising that the quality of Italian wines suffocated any desire to master the art of brewing.

Intrepida is refreshing without being thin, hugely aromatic with a near impossible balance and harmony of flavours, all with a moderate alcohol content.
In short it's all I could wish for in a beer.
My buddy owns land in Italy with a house on it he has only been to a few times. I told him, I would retire there in a heartbeat. Out in the country. Italian folks to make sure the food is good and the drink is better. I am in!!!!! LOL now to get the wife to agree. LOL

My buddy owns land in Italy with a house on it he has only been to a few times. I told him, I would retire there in a heartbeat.
An uncle of mine built a wonderful home in the small rural village he and my mom were born in. He never really got to enjoy it since he died way too young. It has fallen into disrepair. My cousin is looking to sell it cheap. I am sorely tempted...

An uncle of mine built a wonderful home in the small rural village he and my mom were born in. He never really got to enjoy it since he died way too young. It has fallen into disrepair. My cousin is looking to sell it cheap. I am sorely tempted...
I would be very tempted as well. Nice country, great people and a much simpler pace of life. As I get older I realize, that for me, I need to get back to the simple life. But that is just me. Wife, on the other hand, would have none of it.

Depending on where you are financially, it could be a buy and hold type of thing. Make repairs as you can and then, once you are ready to pull the trigger, you have a wonderful house in, what I think, is a wonderful country. Now, with that said, I am almost full blood Gueinne So take that for what it is worth. LOL

I'm second generation on both sides. SWMBO is 0% but loves Italy. I do need to get a handle on exactly how much work the place needs.
Not going to hijack this thread, but if it was me, I would for sure look into it. I have thought about buying outside the US now for a while If my buddy ever decides to sell his place I might make an offer. Just, to me, a no brainer to get out of the US and all it's taxes and bull crud. Rock ON!!!!!!

My buddy owns land in Italy with a house on it he has only been to a few times. I told him, I would retire there in a heartbeat. Out in the country. Italian folks to make sure the food is good and the drink is better. I am in!!!!! LOL now to get the wife to agree. LOL
Wife and I are thinking the same thing. A house with wine grapes and an olive grove. Room for a brewery and guests. About half the price of a small house in SoCal.

My fermenters are all full and I really, really, really need a keg to kick. But we all know how that goes, right?

I've singled out the APA that has been sucking yeast and gurgling for about two weeks, but will it do the decent thing and kick? No, of course not! I'm quite certain that it's still pouring just to spite me.
IMG_4275.jpeg

Sometimes I think breweries try too hard to elevate. Misses the mark for a great brewery.
Is "elevate" a contemporary term or technique used specifically for contemporary IPAs? Didn't occur to me until reading your post that there sure are a lot of contemporary IPAs with elevate or elevated in their names.

Can't help but think I missed a memo.

I have no Italian blood in me as far as I know. But I do like Italian food if that counts. Actually my wife is half Italian, which makes me……..well fed. 😀
Amen to that brother. Those Italian women know how to cook. LOL. Ok, last post as to not hijack the thread. Rock On!!!!!!!

The APA keg finally gave up the ghost, but not before demanding one last squirt of CO2--then promptly wasting it as it kicked at less than half a pint in the subsequent pour. It was spiteful, hateful, and ill-natured to the last--all good qualities in an APA.

Pouring a glass of Panther Piss out in its memory.
IMG_4281.jpeg

I would be very tempted as well. Nice country, great people and a much simpler pace of life. As I get older I realize, that for me, I need to get back to the simple life. But that is just me. Wife, on the other hand, would have none of it.
My wife, when first talking to me about moving out of Austin wanted to move to Puerto Rico. We have a grandkids we're in care of, one with disabilities, so was able to talk her out of it..after a while.

IMHO, and I've scoured the USA, North Carolina is the best retirement spot. Inexpensive houses everywhere. Low property taxes (fixed cost). State tax follows Federal taxes for SSI as opposed to say Oregon which is 100% taxed. Truly awesome healthcare. The environment, at least compared to Austin, is more moderate with zero or very little snow or temps over 100.

She's hell bent on California though. If you figure out how to convince your wife, let me know the secret!

All that typing made me thirsty!

PXL_20240613_005858623.PORTRAIT~2.jpg

Last edited:
My wife, when first talking to me about moving out of Austin wanted to move to Puerto Rico. We have a grandkids we're in care of, one with disabilities, so was able to talk her out of it..after a while.

IMHO, and I've scoured the USA, North Carolina is the best retirement spot. Inexpensive houses everywhere. Low property taxes (fixed cost). State tax follows Federal taxes for SSI as opposed to say Oregon which is 100% taxed. Truly awesome healthcare. The environment, at least compared to Austin, is more moderate with zero or very little snow or temps over 100.

She's hell bent on California though. If you figure out how to convince your wife, let me know the secret!
Lived in the San Francisco Bay area all my life and watched it deteriorate. Unfortunate because San Francisco was a great place to visit. Now I'd steer anybody who asks away. It is dirty and very unsafe.

Lived in the San Francisco Bay area all my life and watched it deteriorate. Unfortunate because San Francisco was a great place to visit. Now I'd steer anybody who asks away. It is dirty and very unsafe.
I graduated HS ('85 Alive!) in the foothills of the Sierras in the Sonora area. I'm trying to steer her away from Clear Lake to there. Much better school systems in Sonora, less expensive housing and more prevalent medical care.

North Carolina is the best retirement spot.

View attachment 850694
Just be sure you're good with humidity. As a guy that grew up in the Desert West, the Mid-Atlantic humidity, even after twenty years, still kicks my ass.

It's especially rotten when you're so damned old that exercise isn't an option. I've really learned to loath August while becoming an expert on undergarments used during summer exercise.

Still, there are those warm summer nights when something really odd happens. There's a confluence between your body temp, the ambient temp, and the humidity. It's so soft and warm that if you close your eyes and relax, it sorta feels like you and the heavy atmosphere that you can feel all around you are starting to intermingle and you feel like you're flowing into, well, everything. It doesn't happen very often (I'm seldom up that late) but when it does, golly, is it something else.

Last edited:
@Bramling Cross I've posted a number of screenshots, here's tomorrow's weather comparison. Humidity makes the RealFeel warmer. It's getting worse here for sure. Last year was the worst summer ever. Many 105 ACTUAL temps with RealFeels well onto the 110s.

I've lived in Lincoln, Santa Cruz, Reno, Phoenix, Twain Harte-CA, South Lake Tahoe and Austin. Of all those, I prefer the dry heat of Phoenix the most but Twain Harte-CA had 4 fairly moderate seasons at least where I was.

Screenshot_20240612-212838~2.png
Screenshot_20240612-212850~2.png

Last edited:
Never been…out of curiosity, how unsafe? Lock your car, your car may get stolen, or always drive in the left lane and don’t stop at red lights as it’s safer to get pulled over? Detroit for reference here

OT

IMG_4242.jpeg
IMG_4243.jpeg

I graduated HS ('85 Alive!) in the foothills of the Sierras in the Sonora area. I'm trying to steer her away from Clear Lake to there. Much better school systems in Sonora, less expensive housing and more prevalent medical care.
Sonora is still a very nice place to be. My mom wants to move just outside Sonoma with a friend. Clear Lake has become a bit of a crack haven if I am remembering right. But, with that said, I am not completely sure.

I think the danger is tripping over all the homeless...🤣
You laugh, but that is very true. The homeless issue is very prevalent in San Francisco, as well as the mental health problems that the city faces as well as the drug abuse that is out in the open. It is not uncommon to see a hype sticking a needle in his arm or a tweaker strung out on dope living in the streets and using the sidewalk as their own personal bathroom. The crime rate is up and car break in's are a very real issue. Sorry, this is probably not the right place for this type of post and probably will be taken down soon. But it is what it is.

Latest posts

Back