What are you doing with your AHA free hops?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mgr_stl

Reaction score
Anyone care to share how you're planning on using the free 4 ounces of jaryllo and azacca hops that the AHA was offering for joining/renewing memberships?

Probably will use Jaryllo in a pale ale and Azacca in an IPA, kind of like how Victory did with Hop Ranch. Have not really decided yet, but that is what I was thinking when I first saw the offer.

I used both Jaryllo and Azzaca along with some Citra in a tropical session IPA a few weeks back

I ended up brewing a SMaSH with Azacca and Pilsner malt. Right now it's a week away from being kegged so we'll see how it turns out!

• 13 lb Pilsner Malt
  • .75 oz Azacca @ 90 min
  • 1.5 oz Azacca @ 15 min
  • 1.5 oz Azacca @ 5 min
  • 1 oz Azacca @ 0 min
  • 2.25 oz Azacca 7 Day Dry Hop
  • Safale US05

The American Homebrewing Association was (is?) offering eight ounces of free hops for joining/renewing membership.

Nothing, because I renewed literally a few days before the offer went up, and I wasn't about to re-renew since I already re-upped for another 3 years. :mad:

Not that I'd have any idea what to do with these newfangled hops anyway.

For those still figuring out what to do with your Azacca hops, Northern Brewer just came out with a pale ale kit that solely uses Azacca.

All grain recipe:
http://www.northernbrewer.com/documentation/allgrain/AG-Azacca.pdf

Extract recipe:
http://www.northernbrewer.com/documentation/beerkits/Azacca.pdf

Apparently NB pulled both of these .pdfs........both links result in a "page not found". I wanted to brew this one and should have saved the .pdf while it was still live. If anyone saved it could you please post it or send me a private message and I'll give you my email addy. Thanks!

I ended up brewing a SMaSH with Azacca and Pilsner malt. Right now it's a week away from being kegged so we'll see how it turns out!

• 13 lb Pilsner Malt
  • .75 oz Azacca @ 90 min
  • 1.5 oz Azacca @ 15 min
  • 1.5 oz Azacca @ 5 min
  • 1 oz Azacca @ 0 min
  • 2.25 oz Azacca 7 Day Dry Hop
  • Safale US05

Any word on how this recipe turned out?

Any word on how this recipe turned out?

It came out great! If I brew it again I'd back down on the bittering hops a bit. I entered it into a SMaSH homebrew comp this weekend and the only critique was it was too hop forward.

IViUaRb.jpg

Apparently NB pulled both of these .pdfs........both links result in a "page not found". I wanted to brew this one and should have saved the .pdf while it was still live. If anyone saved it could you please post it or send me a private message and I'll give you my email addy. Thanks!

Both links work for me. Try flushing your browser cache.

I paid for a two year membership in July and got squadoosh.

I had to enter the promotional code they'd sent me through email, when checking out. It was a bit of a trick to find out where to put that code, though.

Enter offer code FREEHOPS at checkout

Note: The free hops will not appear on your confirmation receipt, but rest assured, they WILL be shipped to you if you include the FREEHOPS offer code at checkout!

The offer expired on June 30.
2 weeks ago I received 8 1oz N2 filled BSG bags with hops in a large envelope deposited in my 120°F mailbox. I guess they're OK. They're in the freezer now, waiting for me to brew those 2 SMaSH beers.

Back