What are you cooking for St. Paddy's 2012?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reno_eNVy

Reaction score
Erin go bragh and Happy St. Paddy's Day!

So being half-Irish (last name is Rafferty, for Pete's sake. Originally O'Raithbeartaigh) I need to cook something fun tomorrow.

Here's what the line-up is:

Dublin Coddle
Stew beef, pork belly, turnips, gold beets, leeks, celery, carrots. We're going to start cooking that tonight and all day tomorrow

Colcannon
Potatoes, kale, garlic, rendered pork belly fat

Soda bread
Keeping that one traditional

Beer
Guinness Draught
Guinness Extra Stout
Guinness Black Lager
Harp Lager
Murphy's Red
Smithwick's

What are you cooking?

Oh and I forgot the Bailey's cheesecake with Jameson caramel drizzle

Not traditional, but it's my daughters birthday, and since she couldn't be with the family last year, she requested "Thanksgiving" for dinner. So I'm roasting two 15lb turkeys in the wood-fired oven along with a couple apple pies and the usual sides.

Nice. Yeah, we opted for brown bread, too.

Best. Effing. Soda. Bread. EVER!

Seriously, they're all usually bland and inedible unless you dunk them in stew or smear colcannon on top. But this traditional brown bread recipe is the most simple and delicious one I've yet to have:

3 cups whole wheat flour
1 cup AP unbleached flour
1 tsp salt
1.5 tsp baking soda
14oz buttermilk

I just made buttermilk by mixing 14oz of 2% milk and 1.5 Tbsp lemon juice and letting it sit for 10 minutes.

Oh, and cooking pork belly for 6 hours is amazing. Each bite of belly in the coddle was super porky, lipidy, juicy, gelatinous goodness (eat your heart out, Andrew Zimmern.)

Here's a photo of the coddle after about 2 hours of cooking, and before the leeks and carrots were added (hehe, Irish flag.) The broth ended up turning opaque from being just loaded with fat after about 5 hours. Holy crap, I've never had such flavorful Irish food.
419702_705924878959_23801669_33656978_1359312786_n.jpg

Back