what are the orange spots on the surface of my beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RippinLt

Reaction score
I took off my lid to take a gravity reading and notices on the surface of the beer, along with a little foam, were little orange spots, shaped like lily pads. They are maybe 1/4 of a centimeter in diameter, or even smaller.

probably just little clumps of yeast that haven't flocced out yet. if you're really concerned, take a picture and we will reassure you.

Or better yet, don't take a picture, since that would mean opening it up again... which every time you do greatly increases the possibility you'll actually start growing something you wish to avoid.

Chances are GREAT that your beer is fine. Leave it alone. Don't mess with it until absolutely necessary. If it was infected, there's not much you'd be able to do at this point in time anyway. The less you mess with it, the better off you'll be. Two of your greatest defenses against infection are the airtight seal of your fermenter/airlock, and the layer of co2 produced by fermentation 'capping' your beer & preventing aerobic organisms from surviving. Every time you open it up... you defeat both and create a pathway for infection. It's even worse when you're opening it up near or after the end of fermentation, since the co2 layer you displace won't necessarily reform as fast or as complete.

As you continue brewing, you'll see all kinds of things you're absolutely sure are some type of infection. And 99 times out of 100, you'll be wrong ;)

Back