What are the best hops to keep around?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TRainH2o

Reaction score
I have been reading about hopsdirect. WOW, $8.75 for a pound of Cascade pellets !!! I've been paying $2.99 for an oz.

Being a new brewer I had to ask, what are the best hops to keep around for general brewing and dry hopping? So far I have only brewed extract kits with steeping grains. I do not plan on going AG any time soon but I would like to try dry hopping my Pale Ale. Thanks for your thoughts.

If you like American Pale Ales, I'd keep Cascade, Centennial, maybe some Amarillo. If you like 'em REAL hoppy, keep some Magnum on hand for the early bittering additions.

But it really comes down to: What do you like? What kinds of beers do you gravitate to? Are there any recipes you want to repeat/tweak/toy with? Then buy accordingly.

Me, I like the American PA's and IPA's, so I got Cascade, Centennial, and Amarillo.

The best are the ones you use the most. Sorry for the obvious answer.

I try to keep around Cascade, Centennial, Chinook, EKG, Williamette, Amarillo, Saaz and Hallertauer. Thinking of adding Columbus and Nugget to that mix since I make a lot of Ambers, Pales and IPAs.

I most like IPAs and Pale Ales. I'm ordering Cascades for sure.

Any Stone IPA, Sweetwater IPA, New Belgium Hoptober and 2 Degrees Below.

I have been using a lot of Simcoe lately because many of the IPA recipes call for it so I am going to have more of that on hand from here on in. Also have some new Citra that I am going to use at some point. Normally have around 1 lb of Amarillo, Cascade, Centennial, Chinook, Northern Brewer, Mt Hood, Sterling, & Warrior pellets or leaf on hand because my favorites (Steam beer, IIPA) call for them. Montanaandy

It's the 3 C's *cascade, centennial and chinook* that I use a bunch of and buy in bulk.

Back