What are the benefits to cold crashing?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bronco1500

Reaction score
I know it helps to clear the beer by having the particles in suspension fall to the trub layer... but how does this benefit the beer ?

Taste better ? Smells better ? Better head ? Lasts longer ? Other ?

Or is simply to have a more transparent drink ?

I'm quite sure there are plenty of views on this one, but for ales at least, clarity is the only difference I've noticed. The only time I bother is with IPA's that I've noticed a lot of hop debris still in suspension.

Yeast and hop particles can affect flavor when left in suspension. However, I would agree that clarity is the bigger issue than flavor. Much like food, we drink with our eyes. That being said, I didn't realize how much suspended yeast impacted flavor until I had a hefe (WY3068) that sat too long in my keezer and turned into more of a kristallweizen than a hefeweizen. Totally different beer without that yeast in my glass. However, there is something about a cloudy beer that makes me feel like I want it more than a crystal clear beer. I know that with enough time (or filtration, or gelatin) and the right yeast strain any beer can be crystal clear, but I feel like a really bright clear beer has been molested in some way. A beer that still has yeast in suspension is still alive and therefore subject to change... good or bad. :mug:

another bonus is when you bottle the leftover/extra beer is very drinkable..

Cold crashing for clear beer and less stuff in the bottle. I share my beer with non home brewers and handing them a clear beer takes much less conversation than having to explain the "stuff" in the bottle.

i cold crash because i don't rack to secondary and i do like the clarity. i feel like the clarity is the finishing touch. the cherry on top of the sundae :)

I do it because I like to get as much beer into my keg as possible, and that is significantly easier when everything is cold. Don't suck up nearly as much from the bottom then if it were warm.

Latest posts

Back