What are the beer styles that hit their 'prime' the fastest?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stevorino

Reaction score
What beer styles hit their prime the fastest? I've always heard 'wheat beers' (what is that, Belgian Whit, German Wheat Beers, or American Wheat Ales?)

Any other beers that condition to their prime? How long does it take from pitching yeast to prime?

I would say wheat beers. I made an american wheat ale that I pitched my yeast into on the 28th of May. I bottled a week and a half ago and the one I just opened is pretty well carbonated and very tasty. Slight hints of banana and clove. So in less than a month I have a very nice drinkable product. Im going to let it condition for another week or so just to get it right where it should be though. But, this beer is very good and drinkable as it stands now.

I would say wheat beers. I made an american wheat ale that I pitched my yeast into on the 28th of May. I bottled a week and a half ago and the one I just opened is pretty well carbonated and very tasty. Slight hints of banana and clove. So in less than a month I have a very nice drinkable product. Im going to let it condition for another week or so just to get it right where it should be though. But, this beer is very good and drinkable as it stands now.

What yeast did you use?

Bavarian Hefeweizen (EdWort's recipe, PM version) is the only wheat style I've brewed, and I'm drinking them 4 weeks from brew day (2 weeks primary + 2 weeks in the bottle). That's about half the time it seems to take for most of my pales and ambers to age and condition to drinkability - it even seems to carbonate faster. I use WLP300 for that style at 68*F, lots of banana esters but not over the top. One of these days I'll try the same recipe with WLP320 just to taste the difference.

A local brewery told me their fastest brew is their american style wheat--in a pinch they can have it in a customer's glass 6 days after brewing--not that they're usually trying to do it that fast.

I've done Milds and Bitters 10 days from grain to glass(I keg) so maybe 24+/- days in a bottle. Unlike most here I like young hoppy beers. I have had IPA's at 14 days, so 1 month in a bottle. It's all in what YOU like. If a 24 day beer tastes green to you, wait, if it tastes good, then by all means drink up;)

fastest I know of... NW Wheat ( think Pyramid or Widmer ) followed by Bavarian Hefeweizens.

if you add flavoring to a wheat at bottling/Kegging... pretty much ANY evil is counteracted.

I have done a blackberry wheat in 8 days for a wedding. NO complaints.
I have done a steam beer in 9 days, added some spices and called it an apple pie ale.

again... no complaints.

I've turn Ed's Haus Ale in 10 days grain to glass. Ferment 9 days, keg 1 day then drink.

To me it has a lot to do with the yeast you choose. I think there are certain yeasts that lend themselves to fast production (wlp002 for example). I also have no direct evidence of this (just observation), but I think the the liquid yeasts turn the beer out faster than their dry yeast counterparts (specifically US-05 v. wlp001).

The Scottish yeast and style should be slower due to cooler temps that should be used during fermentation if you are trying to accurately recreate the style

i was just getting ready to say the same thing. when i did my 60, i fermented it at like 62 and it took a little while longer to completely ferment.

I have tapped a keg of cream ale (og 1.039) at just under 4 weeks and it was good to go.

Back