What are some good hops for an amber/red ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

SnickASaurusRex

Reaction score
Ambers are a good clean pallet. They can go any which a way. Earthy and spicy are a good start, as the mingle well with the crystal malts, but some times they get a little muddied down if the beer finishes heavy. English hops also are good if the beer is going to be dryer, they will impart a bit of scotch ale thing to the beer.

Like I said Ambers are a great pallet for hops, not too malty, but sweet enough to extend some forgiveness.

You could go with American to make a big Red APA. that sounds yummy.

the_bird

10th-Level Beer Nerd
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Amarillo is excellent, but that's in the same vein as Cascade and Centenial. It depends, you can use traditional English-type varieties (like EKG and Fuggles) and do more of an Irish red.

Hugh_Jass

Reaction score
I use Northern Brewer (60), Hallertau(15), and Willamette(5) in an amber. It's pretty tasty FWIW

weremichael

Reaction score
For my red, I bitter with a touch of Chinook at 60 minutes, at 30 minutes, 15 minutes and 5 minutes I add Centennial.

bbrim

Reaction score
Glacier is a Willamette derivative. It's a pretty new hop, I've been working with it a bit, nice and mild with Earthy tones. I actually have a red conditioning with those hops in it. I only used a touch of flavor hops though, so mine will have a very subdued flavor.

foxtrot

Reaction score
The one and only red I've made, I used Mt Hood @ 60 and Tettnang @ FWH, 30, 20, 10, FO and dry. Turned out scrumptious...

Hugh_Jass

Reaction score
That sounds yummy. Or the Fuggle/EKG for Irish. Mmm, mmm.
Here's the grain bill, hops, and yeast for 11 gallon. Any additions or corrections, DB.:mug:

2 Row 20.5 lbs
Victory 7 oz.
Munich 12 oz.
Biscuit 5 oz.
Carmel 80 4 oz.
Chocolate 4oz.

Northern Brewer 2 oz @ 60 min
Hell/Hers 1 oz @ 15 min
Williamette .5 oz. @ 5 min

S-05 - 2 pkgs