What are our thoughts on Ryobi/Ridgid?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Soulive

Reaction score
I'm not looking for contractor/commercial grade tools. I need tools that I can use 2-3 times per month with no issues. So far I have the 18v Ryobi Drill and the Ridgid 10" CMS. I've only used them about 3 times but they've both worked great. Now I'm looking into circular saws and I'm thinking either Ryobi or Ridgid again. For my needs and budget, their prices just can't be beat...

I like Ridgid. I've had their 12" Miter Saw for a couple years and it's performed impeccably. The rest of my tools are Porter-Cable, DeWalt, Makita or Grizzly (for larger equipment like table saws). I also have a 12" craftsman planer that is awesome. The only piece of Ryobi equipment I have is an orbital buffer that we don't use very much, but it gets the job done. Honestly, when I test the Ryobi stuff out in the HD tool dept., it feels a little chintzy, like B&D. For something like a circ saw, I'd go with Ridgid, not Ryobi.

Evan! said:
I like Ridgid. I've had their 12" Miter Saw for a couple years and it's performed impeccably. The rest of my tools are Porter-Cable, DeWalt, Makita or Grizzly (for larger equipment like table saws). I also have a 12" craftsman planer that is awesome. The only piece of Ryobi equipment I have is an orbital buffer that we don't use very much, but it gets the job done. Honestly, when I test the Ryobi stuff out in the HD tool dept., it feels a little chintzy, like B&D. For something like a circ saw, I'd go with Ridgid, not Ryobi.

I've been leaning towards the Ridgid because, similar to your thoughts, they feel sturdier to me too. I wonder how the Ryobi Lithium saw performs...

Soulive said:
I've been leaning towards the Ridgid because, similar to your thoughts, they feel sturdier to me too. I wonder how the Ryobi Lithium saw performs...

The one time I used a battery-powered circ was in college on Habitat jobs, and they worked well for being up on the roof and stuff, but they suck otherwise. There's simply not enough power to get a lot of jobs done. Maybe the new lithiums are better, but somehow I doubt it. You should check around online and see if you can find some reviews.

I've got several of the Ryobi one+ 18V tools - drill, circular saw, and jigsaw (which has a laser guide, because of course you want to cut lots of straight lines with a jigsaw :drunk: )

I'm pretty happy with them. I don't do any real construction, just little odd jobs like building my fermentation cabinet or some cheap shelves or whatever out of 2x4's, pine boards, and plywood. The saw cuts all those things just fine. They're really convenient, and the really fast charge time on the battery is great.

Evan! said:
You should check around online and see if you can find some reviews.

Yeah I've been looking but I can't find consumer reviews. I'm guessing its because they just came out not too long ago...

Stay away from cordless circular saws. As for Ryobi, they actually make good stuff too if you don't buy their cheapest products.

That Rigid is a good saw, you'll be happy with it, I have 2 of them (long story involving a new saw, a tight cord and suck-back into the blade :D).

One of the first tools I bought was a Ryobi circ saw. I'll replace it as soon as I can. It's hard to keep the blade perpendicular, the adjustments are all whack. The wingnuts to hold the adjustments in place are also a PITA to loosen and tighten, and even when I do get it straight, it doesn't stay straight. It's acceptable for rough framing, but it really feels like a cheap tool.

I'm gonna go look at the Ridgid on my lunch break. I haven't been able to find it much cheaper on eBay so I guess I'll have to deal with HD...

Go look on Amazon, too. I've seen lots of tools for sale with free shipping. I bought a real nice (for the price) JET table saw, $250 and free shipping. The Porter-Cable router I've been eyeballing has free shipping, too.

the_bird said:
Go look on Amazon, too. I've seen lots of tools for sale with free shipping. I bought a real nice (for the price) JET table saw, $250 and free shipping. The Porter-Cable router I've been eyeballing has free shipping, too.

Unfortunately they only have refurbed versions on there...

What are you talking about?

What's your price range? I saw a bunch of Dewalts and Porter Cables and Milwaukee circ saws - new ones - for sale there.

They've got this (new) for $130, free shipping.

51R0ZJCFVDL._AA280_.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/DEWALT-DW369CSK-Lightweight-Circular-Strength/dp/B000068871/ref=pd_bbs_sr_3?ie=UTF8&s=hi&qid=1201190195&sr=8-3
I can't vouch for this particular saw, but DeWalt's a great brand.

Last edited by a moderator:
the_bird said:
What are you talking about?

What's your price range? I saw a bunch of Dewalts and Porter Cables and Milwaukee circ saws - new ones - for sale there.

They've got this (new) for $130, free shipping.

51R0ZJCFVDL._AA280_.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/DEWALT-DW369CSK-Lightweight-Circular-Strength/dp/B000068871/ref=pd_bbs_sr_3?ie=UTF8&s=hi&qid=1201190195&sr=8-3
I can't vouch for this particular saw, but DeWalt's a great brand.

Oh I thought you meant look on Amazon for the Ridgid. I didn't realize there were other brands near $100. Good stuf...

Last edited by a moderator:
Soulive said:

I have that saw and it's a beast, a friend of mine who is on the construction buisness gave it to me, if he picked it out I know it's a great tool. I use it when building my BrewShed and helped a buddy of mine with his deck, he was so impressed with it he went out an bought he one.

I like Rigid hand tools, but the one power tool I bought was a nightmare. I bought the 13" benchtop planer. Within a year a gear in the drive system had stripped. It wasn't warrantied so I paid $80 for the replacement gear and it lasted a whole 6 more months before stripping again. At that point I gave up on it and replaced it with a Delta. I have been happy with Delta, JET, DeWalt and old Craftsman (my tablesaw is pre 1950)

Since then I was at HD buying a pneumatic brad gun. The sales guy was pushing the Rigid model really hard and they were offering rebates on it. But based on my previous experience I paid the extra 25% and got the Bostitch instead. I'd rather buy it once and rely on it for years, then go through re-buying a tool like that again.

I have mostly Ryobi tools. The only one I despise is the 18v cordless jigsaw. It absolutely refuses to cut in a straight line, no matter how many times I adjust it. It's like the blade tilts and twirls as it moves along the piece.

Turned out my buddy has the same Ridgid circular saw. I got to use his, with an upgraded blade, and I liked it. I plan on going with this one but I'm holding out for an HD sale...

Back