What am I tasting in White Ale??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lando

Reaction score
Every time I grab a commercial white ale.. blue moon, sam adams white ale...etc I am tasting a flavor I am not familiar with. It is almost like a sharp over carbonation bite, or really sharp sting from it.
I don't know how else to describe it, but is anyone else familiar with the taste I am referring too? Any idea what causes this taste?

I've never had sam adams white, and blue moon is a pretty tamed-down version, but those are both basically belgian witbiers - you're probably tasting some phenols from the yeast and some tang or spice from the wheat itself. they're often spiced a bit with coriander and orange peel, which you might also be tasting.

Try some hoegaarden for a relatively easy to find more-or-less classic version of the style

Hmmm, could be the fruit peels I guess. It seems like an acid taste without the sweet or sour of the fruit. It's not a flavor I care for at all, but I do want to nail down what causes it. I have only experinced it in white ales. Some more than others and some bad enough that I won't drink it.

Witbiers are generally carbonated up around 3 volumes, while most ales are down around 2.5. Higher carbonation will appear to have a stronger "bite" on the tounge from the carbonic acid. I dont know if thats what your tasting, but it could be.

The fact that Sam Adams uses 10 spices must mean their witbier is the best in the world.

Hmmm, could be the fruit peels I guess. It seems like an acid taste without the sweet or sour of the fruit. It's not a flavor I care for at all, but I do want to nail down what causes it. I have only experinced it in white ales. Some more than others and some bad enough that I won't drink it.

I have brewed some Belgian beers but left out the orange peel and coriander. Good stuff but this weekend I decided my next I would at least add the orange peel. While I was drinking one recently I decided to add a bit of orange juice and that taste you describe came right through. I am guessing the fruit addition.
With that said, anyone ever substitute with orange juice?

I have brewed some Belgian beers but left out the orange peel and coriander. Good stuff but this weekend I decided my next I would at least add the orange peel. While I was drinking one recently I decided to add a bit of orange juice and that taste you describe came right through. I am guessing the fruit addition.
With that said, anyone ever substitute with orange juice?

The book Extreme Brewing has a recipe that uses blood oranges (for a Hefe, though, not a Wit). You can probably just google for it and use regular oranges.

I guess I cheated and used 2 tablespoons of orange marmalade in the last 10 mins of a 10 gallon batch. If I were to do it over, I'd use 1 or 1 and a half Tbs. I used the "Nit Wit Strong Wit" recipe from radical brewing and was very happy with it.

It's probably the yeast flavor that you're picking up, although some also decribe wheat beers as generally having a bit of a "sour" note about them. Not something you pick up in an American wheat beer? I'd say most likely it's the yeast.

Latest posts

Back