What am I reading wrong??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matteo57

Reaction score
So I want to brew a clone of rogue's hazelnut brown ale and following this recipe from byo, I am plugging in to beer smith and it is showing OG at 1.039... which is lower than the 1.059 it should be at. Also the byo book of recipes has the same thing pretty much except 1.75 lbs of DME and 3.3 lbs LME and the LME is a late addition. Anyways, where am I messing up?? Any ideas why beersmith is so much lower in est OG than what the actual recipe says? THanks!

http://***********/stories/recipein...wn-ale/1361-rogue-hazelnut-brown-nectar-clone

Not sure what is happening here. When I do a rough calculation assuming 44 gravity points per pound of DME, I end up with a gravity estimate of about 1.039 as well. You may get few points from steeping the crystal, but it will be minor and no where near to making up the difference. There may be a problem with the recipe.

I just checked the recipe and got 1.039 as well. If you add 2 more pounds of dry malt extract it will get you almost 1.056 exactly. I'd add the extra extract and assume that there was a typo in the recipe. Al the steeping grains amounts seem reasonable.

How much will .5 lb of amber extract change recipe flavor? Not much right? Noticeable?

Back