What am I doing wrong?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Iceman6409

Reaction score
Hello all. Why am I getting 100% foam from my keg? This is exactly what I have done so far. Keg is a 2 1/2 or 3 gallon keg with an Irish Red Ale in it. I chose to carbonate it with priming sugar. Deal with it. I have my reasons why. Been carbing at room temperature for three weeks. I put it in the fridge this morning and left it there all day. Thermometer is showing 36F. I hook up gas line. I hook up beer line. I release all pressure in keg. I turn keg up to about 10PSI to start. Pull tap handle and get about 4-5 glasses of foam, all foam. Turned psi down to about 5 PSI. Same result. What am I doing wrong?

Several things could be issues. How fast is the glass filling? How long is the beer line? You could be over carbonated, your beer lines could be too short. Mine are 7' when I had 4' lines I had foam galore!

Ok gas kine is only like 2 feet. Beer line is 5 feet I think, maybe 4. Can't be over carbonaterd because I used priming sugar and no gas.

You can over carbonate with priming sugar.
Ever read about somebody having bottle bombs? they are sugar induced.
How much priming sugar did you use for your keg?

Remember you only need about half the priming sugar for a keg as you would for bottles.

I would try leaving the gas off for a couple days and burp the keg daily.

I don't remember the exact amount off hand but I did follow a carb chart for the style, But you may be on to something because what I did was I used priming sugar for 5 total gallons because that was what I made. Half of it got kegged and the other half got bottled which is why I chose to carb. To me it was easier that way. So if that is true then is there anything I can do at this point?

So if that is true then is there anything I can do at this point?

Take it off of the gas and pull the pressure relief valve every time you think of it for a couple days. The reconnect the gas at your serving pressure, and try again.

As mentioned, you may still have foam issues after getting the carbonation in check with your short beer line. What's your serving temp and desired carb level?

Back