What all to I need to get started?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ishraider

Reaction score
Alright im heading to the nearest city (Portland) this weekend to visit a friend so im gonna head to the HB store there. I am trying to get a good idea of what all eqiupment i need to brew, siphon, bottle all the whole nine yards of malt extract.

I know i need 2 Fermentors, airlock, boil pot, thermometer, star san....i already have a malt extract kit coming tomorrow in the mail and i know NOT to follow any directions they give me, i will be using the advice of this forum (thanx).

I have a small CO2 bottle about 1 1/2 ft tall and a few 3 gallon soda kegs and am wondering what equipment i should get for that? I have a regulator for the CO2 so i wont be needed that.

I will be using a regular 5 gallon (maybe 6?) plastic bucket fermentor for the primary and im gonna use a 6 gallon glass carboy for the secondary (i think). My secondary wont have much krausen (sp?) so do i really need more than a 5 gallon carboy for a 5 gallon batch?

Another question, if i use a airlock on the plastic fermentor is there as much chance of a overflow of krausen in the airlock like there is in the glass carboys? I know a blow off tube is usually the other method for carboys but i havnt seen anything about primary plastic fermentors.

Thanx for all the advice and the help...im anxious to get my next batch going because this first batch im not really expecting much (mr. beer kit instructions) because i made some n00b mistakes that i know i wont make my next brew. Mr. Beer is 3 days bottled and still got a ways to go til ill give it a shot (used booster heard it has a cidery tatse when beer is green). :cross:

TrueBrew Maestro Kit /with Autosyphon
Same as regular TrueBrew Equipment kit (featured above), however it includes the new semi autosyphon setup to ease syphoning. True Brew Maestro Beer Equipment Kit with Auto Syphon includes: Basic Book, 6.5 Gallon primary fermentor with lock and lid. Bottling bucket w/spigot, bottlefiller, adhesive thermometer. Rack and Fill Kit, Hydrometer, capper, bottlebrush, auto syphon and santizer.
Excellent starter kit. Additional equipment recommended, Large boiling pot, 2 cases of 12 oz bottles
TrueBrew Maestro Kit w/Autosyphon
SKU: BRK0003, Ship Wt: 12 lb. $89.55

Sounds like you got it going on, but I'd maybe add an autosiphon to your list. It really makes things easier when transferring liquid between vessels. Also hose for transferring.

I would be prepared for blow off anyway. I've had a Belgian wit or two go off on me. You may not have a problem with your recipe, but it certainly doesn't hurt to be prepared. It's easier to just do it than to clean up the mess afterwards.

You're missing:
Long stainless steel spoon or other stirrer (I lost mine before my first brew day and had to improvise)
Hydrometer!!!!

I'd strongly recommend an autosiphon

I'd recommend a PETE carboy over glass if you get one (you don't need a secondary for many beers)

I'd recommend a bottling wand to bottle a few bottles worth even if you're kegging--keep a few around for 6-12 months so that you can compare later on (and see how they aged).

I'd recommend a wine thief/turkey baster and cheap plastic sample jar/graduated cylinder.

On top of obvious ingredients, you'll want more ice than you have, maybe some irish moss/whirlfloc, and 6 gallons of distilled water come brew-day.

Thanx for the info so far. I just bought a 20qt stock pot (5 gallons i believe) its stainless steel and has a 15 year warranty which is great. What i forgot to think about is whether a stock pot is sutible for brewing (which i assume it is what most people use) but i just thought i should ask before i use it.

Oh and my brew pack came today. Williams Brewing from california is the brand im using. I bought their Brown ale which had a 9 star rating from customers and a EASY brewing rating for beginners so i figured this was a good fit due to my liking of brown ales. Anybody heard/brewed their beer before? If so how was it? It came with 7 lbs. of their blended malt extract, English Fuggle and Golding hops, 125 ml of liquid ale yeast, and corn sugar for carbonation. Alcohol: 4.0%, IBU’s 25.

Back