What ae the odds of an infection?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SeanyP321

Reaction score
My first brew is happily fermenting away. I'm really worried about an infection though. During the brewing process, everything was sanitized, and everything went relativley smoothly...

After 24 hours, there were no bubbles in my airlock so I looked closer and I noticed a small crack in the lid of my bucket!! I panicked, wiped it with vodka and filled it with sealant. 10 mins later I had bubbles but now I'm worried about the bugs that got in during the 24 hours/ ad or the bugs that may be in my sealant?!

What are the chances of a bad batch????

:(

Zero chance. Your CO2 was leaking out of that crack and since it was pushing out, nothing was going in. There is really no need for an air tight seal during initial fermentation so you can relax.

thats the best news ever! cheers mate. will send more panic questions in a few weeks when its time for secondary;)

+1 for just relaxing.....if your beer is infected I'll tattoo dumb-sh@t on my knuckles and feel good about it! :p

They say infection tends to happen to people that have been brewing for years and their minds are on something else. A friend of mine had that problem, he had his head so focused on his recipe, hops, malt etc that he did his batch and didnt sanitize a thing! **** happens....

Back