What about step infusion versus decoction?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pjj2ba

Look under the recliner
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Following up on the single infusion versus decoction discussion, how about step infusion versus decoction. I can add heat directly to my mash tun (induction heated - no scorching) so I'm contemplating doing a step mash for a Kolsch I have planned. What are the claimed benefits to this method? I'm thinking about doing this simply because I can and was just wondering what the percieved benfits might be.

There won't be any caramelization as possible with decocting. I'm thinking it might help to ward off any chill haze. Anything else? Better efficiency?

I'm thinking to mash in a 130 for 10-20 min that raise the mash up to 148 for an hour, or maybe 148 for 45min and then 156 for 15 min, then mash out at 168

No answers from me but do look forward to the responses. I've completed my 3-tier and have a burner in the middle but am currently using a cooler for the mash. Figured I'd go to a keg for the mash someday but don't really understand the direct heat process either!

My mash tun is a 38 qt Stainless steel pot wrapped with about 6 layers of aluminized bubble wrap. I heat it with an induction cooker. I works by using magnetism to create heat in your pot (and only in your pot!). I had to look around a fair bit to find a magnetic stainless pot (the pot has to be magnetic to work). All I have to do is touch a button and on comes the heat (I have several settings available). Normally I heat my water up, to say 168, then turn it off and mash in. Now I'm thinking about doing a step mash simply because I easily can.

Unfortunately my induction cooker is not powerfull enough do a full boil on 6 gal of wort. It'll do 3 gal, but not 6.

This really has two (at least) parts to the question. Both of these are processes to get or a means to obtain temperature steps. There is also the infusion method, where a temperature rise is made through the addition of hot water to the mash.

Now there is debate, which is part of the earlier decoction bebate, about when and with what grains a step is even needed. The case has been well made that a step in the production of wheat and rye beers is useful. It is also useful for mash out, in that this step stops all enzyme activity and makes the wort easier/more efficient to run-off. But debate around steps for well modified grains continues. Many authors say do, others say don't. All of this is covered in the decoction discussions that have covered volumes in this forum.

The other issue is the effect that the physical boiling of grains has on the quality of the wort produced. Some say the flavor of the wort produced by boiling can not be produced in any other way. Others are going to say that it can be duplicated, or at least closely enough through the use of specialty malts.

My personal opinion, and my set-up allows for steps, and decoctions and I use both. The more fundamental issue to me however is mash temperature control. The first concern should be gaining an ability to hit the mash temperatures you desire with your infusion. Once you get that then you can start playing with the manipulation of the process.

Honestly, the reason my system can do all of that is I love playing with the gear and so I just keep adding toys.

Not trying to hijack the originator but we may have similar inquiries. The only reason I was heading in this direction was for wheats for the 133(?) rest and then again for a mash out. I don't do either currently with my 5g cooler setup; just not enough room usually with the grist bill. So instead of doing the added infusion, could I/we not fire up the burner & stir to raise the temp?

Thanks BP!

Oh & PS - I wasn't about to ask these questions in the decoction thread ;)

desertBrew said:
So instead of doing the added infusion, could I/we not fire up the burner & stir to raise the temp?quote]

Of course. The stirring would help prevent scorching, which I have never actually had a problem with anyway. This is a great example of KISS and RDWHAHB.

Back