What a difference

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SRTBREW

Reaction score
I tried a bottle of my first partial mash last night. It is a wheat kit from the homebrewery. I mash an extra pound of malted wheat and a pound of 2-row. I have done this same kit before with no partial mash, and the difference is amazing. It has a lot more wheat taste than the plain kit. :drunk:

All my brews will be partial mash from now on. Now I can't wait to taste my pm IPA.:rockin:

Congrats! Glad to hear that your batch turned out well. :mug: PMs are a great way to get more of that "made it myself" feeling without jumping straight into all-grain (not to mention, they give you good practice in case you decide to eventually go AG).

Hope your IPA turns out well. What hops did you use?

PM beers are great. I would use only an extract base or part of the base as extract. 1/2 of the needed base malt in 2 row (or whatever you need) and mash with the specialties. Add the DME late and you are pretty close to style

here's my IPA recipe.

2lb maris otter mashed at 153 for 1 hour sparge 168 degress
2lb vienna mashed at 153 for 1 hour sparge 168 degrees
4.5 lb pilsen dme
.25lb crystal 20L
.25lb victory
1.2oz marynka 10ibu 60 min.
.75oz amarillo 15 min
1oz amarillo 1 min
1oz amarillo dry hop in secondary 1 week
safale us-05
Still in primary at 65 degrees

Does that look good for a first shot at an IPA?

That's pretty much my max right now for grain. I only have a 2 gallon cooler. Last night I ordered a 34 qt stock pot, so I'll get a bigger cooler and try to go as close to an all grain full boil as I can.

I had to look up Marynka, was not familiar with that hop variety. What I read indicated that it is a good bittering hop and very aromatic (Michael Jackson). I am not far enough along in my own brewing to critique your recipe. Hops look good, and if you find it isn't hoppy enough, definitely throw some more in there next time you brew an IPA (particularly with the dry-hopping).

I use a 36-qt pot for my full boils, so you should be ready to go AG as soon as you get your MLT done. If you haven't decided yet, go with a 10-gallon (40-qt) or larger cooler. If you go with 5 gallons, you'll kick yourself later when you want to brew bigger beers.

I have done this same kit before with no partial mash, and the difference is amazing. It has a lot more wheat taste than the plain kit. :drunk:All my brews will be partial mash from now on.
You are right.....I'm new to this and on my 4th batch. 3 have been extract only and 1 PM. The PM batch was gone in two weeks.:drunk:

Back