Wet Hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cheezydemon

Reaction score
Anyone brew with fresh hops last year? I have seen a number of articles lately on this practice. Evidently it ends up with a slightly grassier taste and more aroma.

Obviously you would have to grow hops or know someone who does. And it could only done at harvest time. Interesting.

I thought I read somewhere it takes more 'wet' hops to achieve the same results as dried hops.

There are still some fresh hop beers out on the market if you want to try the end result for yourself. I have still seen some Founders and Great Divide available in my neck of the woods recently. The fresh hop brews that I sampled this year were very fragrant and herbal, hop perfumy.

GaryA said:
I thought I read somewhere it takes more 'wet' hops to achieve the same results as dried hops.

Not necessarily more hop cones, but since they weigh about 4-5 times as much with the moisture still inside them, you need to use a greater weight of wet hops.

It just sounds like a great project for harvest day. This is my first year growing 5 varieties. I figure I may get enough for one good batch the first year. May as well forego drying if this works!

the_bird said:
Not necessarily more hop cones, but since they weigh about 4-5 times as much with the moisture still inside them, you need to use a greater weight of wet hops.
Gotcha, that would make sense.

I had a limited edition Wet Hop beer from Harpoon Brewery. I thought the "Grass" taste ruined the beer.

Back