Wet hopping

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

monk420

Reaction score
Got tons of hops ready to Brew a rye pa tomorrow . I wanted to wet hop w my fresh hops, but have no idea how . Ne tips or help thanks

hopping with fresh hops.. and I have no clue, I found a blog article I posted on someone elses exact question a few days ago, but I'll be darned if I can find it now. Try googling it if nobody chimes in.

If you mean fresh off the vine fresh hops then I have never done it before. I did read article awhile back in BYO about it though. I'll see if I can find it.

I did a nice wet hopped APA this year. I used my pellets for bittering, and then some wethops for flavor/aroma and for wethopping after fermentation.

You need about 6 times more wethops than dried hops so you can get some grassy vegetal flavors at times, so I'd recommend using a flavorful malt bill along with it. I did a grainbill with maris otter, Munich malt, and some crystal malt.

I wasn't as wild about the wethopped beer as I was with the same recipe made the traditional way, but my husband really loved it. I used fresh centennials and cascade, and it was far more citrusy than with the traditional dried hops.

I just wet hopped Thursday and it smells great. At the time of kegging it tasted great and definitely more citrus (used fresh cascades) than using just pellets. Wont know final result for a couple of weeks when people drink it. This was also my first use of wet hops.

One thing to note that I didn't (for some dumb reason) realize- the quantity of wet hops you need to use in a batch takes up a lot of volume and clog the crud out of pumps and siphons.

Back