Westvleteren XII --- How much would you pay for a 6 pack?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mister704

Reaction score
So I am at a crossroad with a guy who has a 6 pack he is trying to sell. Wanting way too much. I understand its rarity and the fact that it has only made it over to the US once back in 2012.

Wondering how much you think a 6 pack is really worth. I know it was $85 when it came to the US so I know I am going to have to pay more than that.

Thought??

I am really wanting it just to add to my beer collection. None(maybe 1) will ever be opened.

So I am at a crossroad with a guy who has a 6 pack he is trying to sell. Wanting way too much. I understand its rarity and the fact that it has only made it over to the US once back in 2012.

Wondering how much you think a 6 pack is really worth. I know it was $85 when it came to the US so I know I am going to have to pay more than that.

Thought??

I am really wanting it just to add to my beer collection. None(maybe 1) will ever be opened.

What can I tell ya? You want it, he has got it, you pay what he wants or you walk. Go get it cheaper elsewhere if you think you can do it. Supply and demand baby.

What can I tell ya? You want it, he has got it, you pay what he wants or you walk. Go get it cheaper elsewhere if you think you can do it. Supply and demand baby.

Very true statement man. Very true...LOL

Didn't want to hear it. Haha

why not drink 5 and keep 1 for the collection? I guess i dont understand collecting beer

Sooo that honestly what will probably happen. I will stay strong like buying a new car and saying I am not going to eat in it...but as most, I will fail.

Miserably.

Very true statement man. Very true...LOL

Didn't want to hear it. Haha

Sorry...:D

Maybe you can negotiate your way to get only a few bottles, and sweeten the deal with a higher per unit cost?

So for example: say for the sake of simple math he wants $100 for the 6 pack (16.66/bottle)

Offer to buy 4 for $80 ($20/bottle)....you end up paying less overall; you give him the impression that his product is worth more; you now put it in his head that he could unload the last two at $20 bottle, netting him $120 for the 6 pack when he was only looking to get $100 from it...whether he can or not is not of your concern:fro:.

The reality is that you are only buying to trade/sell them down the road (the only reason I can think of why you would buy a 6 pack only to open one of them), you aren't "out" anything by not buying the whole lot. In fact, this guy could probably make more from this 6 pack if he sold them bottle by bottle anyway. I would think 3 bottles (after you open one) should give you plenty to sell/trade with.

why not drink 5 and keep 1 for the collection? I guess i dont understand collecting beer

I assumed he was going to use the Westy as incentive to broker other trades/sell. There are alot of people out there who will over-sweeten a beer trade/sale if they knew they could get a bottle of Westy in the deal.

Sorry...:D

Maybe you can negotiate your way to get only a few bottles, and sweeten the deal with a higher per unit cost?

So for example: say for the sake of simple math he wants $100 for the 6 pack (16.66/bottle)

Offer to buy 4 for $80 ($20/bottle)....you end up paying less overall; you give him the impression that his product is worth more; you now put it in his head that he could unload the last two at $20 bottle, netting him $120 for the 6 pack when he was only looking to get $100 from it...whether he can or not is not of your concern:fro:.

The reality is that you are only buying to trade/sell them down the road (the only reason I can think of why you would buy a 6 pack only to open one of them), you aren't "out" anything by not buying the whole lot. In fact, this guy could probably make more from this 6 pack if he sold them bottle by bottle anyway. I would think 3 bottles (after you open one) should give you plenty to sell/trade with.

Good breakdown. I might try to run it that way. We will see. At least he is not like a lot of folks I see selling the damn six pack for $400-$500.

Good breakdown. I might try to run it that way. We will see. At least he is not like a lot of folks I see selling the damn six pack for $400-$500.

Wow people pay that much? Hopefully it makes the beer taste better because honestly I wasn't all that impressed with it. Was it good sure but so are rochefort 10 and st abt 12. I wouldn't pay more then 100 bucks for it, most would probably consider that lowball but anymore then that and I'm buying either of the other two I mentioned.

Wow people pay that much? Hopefully it makes the beer taste better because honestly I wasn't all that impressed with it. Was it good sure but so are rochefort 10 and st abt 12. I wouldn't pay more then 100 bucks for it, most would probably consider that lowball but anymore then that and I'm buying either of the other two I mentioned.

I am with you. I though about asking him for $120 but honestly if I find the bottles and box with the setup, I will go for that and then buy St B.

I'd pay $30...........since all the other Trappist Quads are around $5 a bottle why pay more.
Granted I realize that Westy is priced well above this, but my point is that beers of similar caliber go for around $5 a bottle in my area......... so why pay more.

I'd much rather grab a 12 oz of St. Bernardus Abt 12 at 8 bucks a 12oz. Westy just isn't worth that much money imo.

That six pack better come with some sexual favors. Best beer on the planet or not I just can't see spending that kind of money on a drink that didn't include a good looking, willing female on the other side of it.

$111 for a 6-pack shipped to the US. Too rich for my blood.

I agree. I tried a bottle of the stuff in Belgium and it was really good but I wouldn't call it the best beer in the world or say it's any better than St Bernardus abt 12.

Stuff like this is like cuban cigars. It's hard to get your hands on it so that "forbidden fruit" thing bumps up the perception that it must be amazing.

It's just dumb luck, but I had a friend of mine bring me this today, free. He's "not that into beer" and thought I'd enjoy it. looks to be less than a year old, so I'll look into storing it and enjoy it next year at some point. Pretty sweet score IMO.

20140313_121648_zpslsmmephj.jpg

20140313_121706_zpsjuzvmc2n.jpg

Of course I had to explain what my friend had given me, and make sure he was still ok with it, he just had it in the fridge. Think it will create off flavors if I bring it back up to cellar temp to store?

Im happy, I just won the collector sect for $35 on ebay with free shipping. Came with both glasses, 6 bottles, caps and the box. Perfect for my bar...

I just wanted the collectible. Got it for cheap. The glasses alone are worth it to me.

Back