Westmalle Tripel Clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

No_Party

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I just racked my Westmalle Tripel Clone to the secondary today and the final gravity ended up at 1.010. The OG was 1.088. I can't believe how much this thing attenuated. Should I be concerned about the flavor being off?

Westmalle Tripel Clone
Belgian Tripel

Type: Extract
Date: 4/9/2011
Batch Size: 2.50 gal
Boil Time: 60 min

Ingredients

4.00 lb Pilsen Light Dry Extract (3.0 SRM) Dry Extract 81.63 %
-
0.30 oz Saaz [5.50 %] (60 min) Hops 8.0 IBU
0.20 oz Saaz [3.80 %] (60 min) Hops 3.7 IBU *This was leftover from a previous brewday
0.25 oz Hallertauer Mittelfrueh [3.00 %] (60 min) Hops 3.7 IBU
-
0.50 oz Saaz [5.50 %] (30 min) Hops 10.3 IBU
0.25 oz Hallertauer Mittelfrueh [3.00 %] (30 min) Hops 2.8 IBU
-
1.00 items Servomyces Yeast Nutrient (Boil 15.0 min) Misc
0.90 lb Sugar, Table (Sucrose) (1.0 SRM) Sugar 18.37 % (15 min)
1 Pkgs Abbey Ale (White Labs #WLP530) Yeast-Ale

Beer Profile

Est Original Gravity: 1.086 SG
Measured Original Gravity: 1.088 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.020 SG
Measured Final Gravity: 1.010 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 8.73 %
Actual Alcohol by Vol: 10.22 %
Bitterness: 28.5 IBU
Calories: 401 cal/pint
Est Color: 4.6 SRM

I have one in primary right now going to bottle in 10 days that is at 1.009. I only ever bottle my belgians, except the table beers. I've had others tripels that hit 1.007-8 and they tasted great, they are supposed to attenuate that much for digestibility. Your biggest issue is your fermentation schedule. If you did that right you should have a very dangerously drinkable beer in a matter of a a few months.

Again like other posters I'm also shocked you got it down that far with extract! Kudos.

I have one in primary right now going to bottle in 10 days that is at 1.009. I only ever bottle my belgians, except the table beers. I've had others tripels that hit 1.007-8 and they tasted great, they are supposed to attenuate that much for digestibility. Your biggest issue is your fermentation schedule. If you did that right you should have a very dangerously drinkable beer in a matter of a a few months.

Again like other posters I'm also shocked you got it down that far with extract! Kudos.

I also read that you should repitch the yeast before bottling. I have never done this. Do I just dump a packet of yeast in right before bottling or a couple days before? How do you bottle your belgians?

I also read that you should repitch the yeast before bottling. I have never done this. Do I just dump a packet of yeast in right before bottling or a couple days before? How do you bottle your belgians?

Depends upon lots of factors but if it is a high gravity BDSA or Tripel I pitch a 1/4 to a 1/2 packet of dry yeast into the bottling bucket with my cooled priming sugar. I use anything from US-05 or Notty to T-58. I never rehydrate it either just put it in and rack on top of it then bottle as usual. I

Latest posts

Back